What does TGP think of Scott Walker guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by SPROING!, Feb 28, 2015.

1. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

He makes a wide variety of off the wall stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

istantodf likes this.
  2. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I think they look great and appear to be built to an exceptional standard, but have no idea how they play or sound.

4. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

One day I will own a Cocobolo Special. I will.

-db

5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I agree.
    I can't say I like all his design details.
    The deep carving in the body looks like something that's hard to keep clean. Lol.
    The sharp, pointy details on some pieces look like an injury waiting to happen.

But I do like many of his designs. The cigar tube pickup sounds cool.

http://youtu.be/m6jKlYqutPI

6. MrX

MrX Member

I've never touched one. Some great looking guitars.

7. XKnight

XKnight Member

They look beautiful. I think most of TGP is unaware of these guitars. BTW, last time I started a thread on another lesser known builder that I wanted to share with the TGP community it got mysteriously moved to the small luthiers section.

8. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I like that the guy is designing and building so much of his own hardware.
    He has several bridge, tailpiece and pickup designs that are unique to his guitars. Very high level of detail.

9. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

Looks like he's a very skilled builder with a distinctive sense of design (something sadly lacking in the people who make nothing but slightly-modified Fender and Gibson clones). But his sensibility doesn't really mesh with mine, so I wouldn't actually want one of these, as much as I admire them for originality and quality of workmanship.

10. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Extremely cool with a price tag to match. Would love to get to play one someday, let alone own one. That black model with tortoiseshell binding and lipstick pickups in the second post looks killer.

11. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I own a couple of Scott's guitars, with a third one under construction. Yeah, design-wise, he's very much on his own trip, which is a good thing IMO but that means they aren't for everybody.

A couple of noteworthy things of note about Scott's guitars:

1. The bolt-on neck guitars typically feature an unusual tenon that extends all the way under the bridge pickup. (and a well-thought-out bolt scheme to go with it) That gives them a response that's quite different from a typical F-style bolt-on neck guitar. The notes hold on in a manner more akin to a set-neck guitar, but they maintain that air and clarity that is what I've come to expect from bolt-on neck guitars.

2. Scott uses a variety of pickups and electronics; some he winds himself, some he sources. All are well-thought-out and matched to the particular guitar. He is particularly known for using onboard preamp and buffer systems. If you use a pedalboard or certain types of pedal, or that's a BIG plus. He even offers a system whereby you can effectively create a loop for your pedalboard whereby the signal comes back to your guitar post-effects so you're still hitting the amp directly from your guitar. Great idea, since the trip out to your pedals, through a bunch of different pedals & interconnects, and then out through another longish cable is fraught with signal loss.

Here are pics of mine.

The Phoenix This is one from the original batch of 10 or 12. Kimock had a significant hand in the design. Pickups by Jason Lollar and active electronics by John Cutler. Easily my favorite bolt-on neck, single-coil guitar. Incredible clarity in the low end, like nothing else I've ever heard.
    [​IMG]

Santa Cruz/Fathom fretless I fell in love with the Fathom finish -- the distressed bronze thing -- and had to have one. After playing Kimock's fretless, I decided to run with that idea. Pernambuco neck and Lindy Fralin pickups.
    [​IMG]

Electo (in progress) This model is Scott's take on a Strat, in particular, Kimock's white one with the Danelectro lipstick pickups. Scott found me a set of original bass ones, which is what's in Kimock's guitar, and we ran with it. As Scott loves to say, "Right on!"
    [​IMG]

12. sebbio7

sebbio7 Member

I'd vote for him.;)

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

While the baroque like design elements are not my thing, I really like what he is doing. I especially love that he is pushing the current trend.

That bronze verdigris finish is amazing looking.

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

beautiful guitars, impeccably made with a design-flow unique to mr. walker; that, in addition to his own take on electronics.
    someday, i'll try one!

15. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Very cool stuff, not all in my taste but thanks for bringing him up here. I particularly like KingsLeyd's Electro he's building. Post that bad boy up when it's finished.

16. Blessed Tone

Blessed Tone Member

I Love Scott's work!

I have a Phoenix that he built for me about 5 yrs ago.
    I also just took in one of his Jimson models & it's awesome!!

His design sense & his carving are top notch. He's a great guy & very easy to work with too.

Here's my Phoenix
    [​IMG]

17. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i mean, uhhh, dude..... amongst so many others:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I shouldn't like them as his aesthetic sense generally differs from mine, but for some reason I can't help but drool over every single Scott Walker guitar I've seen.

19. Blessed Tone

Blessed Tone Member

The Sugar pine Jimson body is lightweight & full of snap too...!

20. goodwater

goodwater Member

Hi Rick---that. is. cool.