What does the #2 Channel on a Dual Recto Sound Like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tanner Vix, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I've wanted this amp for a long time and have been thinking about purchasing it on and off for the past 6 months.

There is not a Mesa dealer that carries the Recto line closer than 400 miles of me so my trips to guitar center are usually pretty intense! I got to thinking the other day that I've never really spent much time with the #2 channel of this head (assuming a 3 channel version). I've always gone and cranked it up on channel 3 to get the most of my time. I was wondering if any of you who own/have played it could give me an idea of what tone I can find from the #2 channel. Is it more Marshall'esque? Just lower gain than the traditional high gains we hear from a recto?

I was also wondering if this amp can actually be played at normal room levels as many of these high wattage tube amps need to be opened up to sing.

Thanks for the advice.

2. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

for me, channel 2 is where it's at on these amps! it's not quite as big and brutal sounding as channel 3, i suppose you could say it's a bit more classic voiced...but it has a lot more definition, it tends to fit in a band mix much better, is more touch responsive, and IMO has a much nicer overall vibe than channel 3

i really wish the footswitch was designed so you could use channel 2 modern for rhythms, and boost channel 2 vintage for leads

i wouldn't really call it 'lower gain' compared to channel 3, it's just a different voicing really

edit: btw, this is really not a bedroom amp...you have to crank it pretty hard to get good tones from it and this amp is abnormally loud compared to most 100 watters

3. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Thanks Cobra, Doesn't channel 2 also use EL34s or am I way off base here? I would think, as you mentioned, that this would give you more of a classic sound as well.

The reason I asked about the volume was that I would be using it at church and I might have to isolate the cab somewhere. I was also looking at a VoxAC30 as well but these things are pretty loud too.

Although I know channel 2 isn't a vox or a marshall I need to spend some time with it to see if I can get some of those creamy, semi crunch tones that a Vox or older Marshall can get. Understandably it's going to be different with the Mesa but I want to see what it can do in those respects.

4. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

i'm using a quad of EH el34's in my mesa btw, they just have a warmer and fuller sound than 6l6's do in that amp

to my knowledge the power tubes aren't exclusive to certain channels (like i believe the mark IV is) i know there are places that sell integrated quads so you can run 6l6's AND el34's in a dual recto, but as far as i know you'd still be running all 4 tubes on every channel

channel 2 can cop some pretty nice marshall esque tones, and in raw mode can do some nice lower gain stuff...but no matter what, it always sounds like mesa

with a sd1 or tubescreamer, the dual rectifier can really become a verstalie beast tho...and you'll be hard pressed to find a tone you can't atleast come close to replicating

with a good multi fx unit (i've got a boss gt-6) i think the 3 channel rectifiers can smoke any modeling amp for all around versatility AND feel

5. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Cobra, thank you very much. You answered a lot of questions.

I think if I replaced the 6L6's with the EL34s I think I would have a great amp for my needs. I'm getting pretty excited about it actually.

2 more questions. When I was browsing the mesa website it gives you this info:

100 Watts, Class A/B Power / 4x6L6, 5x12AX7, 2x5U4

and then it says below it:

Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)

Does this mean that it's the switch so that you can replace the 6l6s and put in the EL34s like you did?

Also if I was to put the el34s in would you recommend the standard (big) or traditional (smaller) 4x12 cab?

6. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

the bias select switch basically does just that...with 6l6's in it you'd switch it to 6l6 mode, and el34's you'd switch to el34 mode; these are two fixed bias modes so you can replace the preamp tubes without having to re-bias the amp

personally i don't care much for mesa cabs, especially since they just upped the price on them they really aren't worth the money IMO...the randall XL cab is an extremely well made vintage 30 loaded cab, that sounds A LOT like the oversized recto cab...they're a bit cheaper new, and can be had a lot cheaper used (the local gc here has a dead mint used one for $389!)

if you were gonna go with a mesa cab tho, i'd highly reccomend the traditional...the recto cabs can be very boomy, and muddy on the low end...the traditional cabs are noticeably tighter on the lows, and are more clear sounding

i think the bogner uberkab is an EXCELLENT match for a dual rectifier, but they can be a bit pricey as well

splawn makes a good alternative to the bogner actually...i was set on an uberkab untill i tried a splawn (i'm lucky enough to live just an hour from their shop) and honestly it sounded just as good for about $300 less

as i said i'm not a huge fan of mesa cabs, but i prefer the traditional over the recto

7. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

the orange channel (channel 2) is my favorite tone out that amp. If you're looking for a recording of that sound, check out Foo Fighters "Color and the Shape" CD. Or Blink 182's song "all the small things".
    I have the stock 6L6 in my amp. Sounds great. Finding a good set of EL34s can be difficult. 6L6s sound darn good too. Yes, the bias switch is used when you change from 6L6 to El34s.
    It's a great amp. Built like a tank too. :dude

8. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

btw...here's a clip of my recto in channel 2 modern

http://disvisioned.net/clips/hitthecobramesa.mp3

running thru my 2x12 cab, sm57 on the eminence governer in the cab, and audix i5 on the gt75 clone also in the cab, guitar is an ibanez sz320mh with a duncan jb in the bridge

recto is panned to the right

left channel is my cobra thru the splawn cab btw

9. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

That clip was awesome. Thanks for all the input. You guys are great.

I don't know if you're into christian rock music at all but one of my favorite bands of all time called Disciple uses Splawn gear. Up till 6 months ago I had never heard ot it.

Check out www.disciplerocks.com if you're interested.

10. scottyboy

scottyboy Member

Cobrahead-nice clip!

It was very nice of you to do such a fine and thorough job explaing this amp. Plus, it was good to see you help a brother out.

Welcome to TGP.

Best wishes,

Scott

11. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

i've actually known of disciple for quite sometime...about 5 years ago (my senior year in HS actually) i was friends with a few local bands who were a pretty big part of the local christian rock/metal scene...i saw them back when they had their old guitarist (with the long hair), and their singer also played bass

i've caught a few shows of theirs' since then, they're good musicians and good guys all around...i know scott splawn is very fond of them as well :)

12. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I got to see them the middle of July at Sonshine Festival in Willmar Minnesota. They absolutely rocked it. It was awesome to hear their new album live. I was quite impressed with the Splawn. It was crazy loud as I was up front right in front of it!!!

They are very good musicians.