What does the BlackHeart sound like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TroyHamilton, Jan 31, 2008.

1. TroyHamilton

TroyHamilton Supporting Member

Saw an earlier post on the killer deal that Music123 has going right now on the BlackHeart amps. Can anyone give me some opinions on the tone from these? I'm salivating for - and waiting to get - a Badger, but this seemed like a decent hold-over while I build up the cash.

Any opinions on tone? I know there's some mods floating around... opinions on those? Are they necessary like on the EVJ's?

Any insight is appreciated...
    troy

2. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

the cab doesn't do that amp any favors, but it's a hell of a little amp for the money. I'd be interested to hear the turret board mod from mojo. i think it'd be totally worth modding these if the sound is good, since the price of the upgrades and the amp would still be less than a fancy boutique amp.

3. TroyHamilton

big brekfest-

when you say the cab doesn't do the amp any favors, are you referring to the 1x12 combo cab, the matching 1x12 cab for use with the head, or both? I was leaning more towards the standard cab - as it's closed back... but I'd be interested to hear if one is better than the other. Traditionally I've normally favored closed 1x12's as opposed to an open-back 1x12 combo.

I too am interested in the board upgrade. That would probably happen pretty early if I choose to get this.

Thanks,
    Troy

4. big brekfest

big brekfest Guest

i'm talking about the matching 1x12 cab, because that's all i've heard. It's kind of boxy sounding, but not terrible. i'm sure mic'd up it'd be fine, but in open air it's kind of meh. I'd like to hear it out of another cab in person, but i'd suspect that a nice avatar cab would do the trick for not too much more than blackheart's own. plus you'd be able to pick your speaker.

5. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

I own both the combo and 2 half stacks, and I thought the stock cabinets sounded really good. The extension cabinets for the heads are equipped with Eminence Speakers, and they make some pretty good speakers.

Unless you're specifically looking for the 5w amp, you might want to wait a while for the new 1w, 15w, or 100w Blackhearts, announced a few weeks ago at Namm.

I played the 15w Head at Namm, and it sounds really good. I heard the 100w amp and the 1w amp is pretty cool.

6. TroyHamilton

davec69,

cool... i had heard about the new versions coming out - but not much else. 5watts is plenty for me right now, but are there reasons other than power to consider the 1w or 15w version? (100 is just too much for me.)

any extra insight is appreciated.

my main thrust to by right now is to grab one while i can get it for $175 on Music123, but if there is a good reason to wait i will.

7. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

The only thing that I can add is that, the quality of the Blackhearts is not your usual low cost amp quality. They make some good quality gear. For example, their using 15 ply (18mm) thick-void free Plywood Construction for the cabinets. You can get more info here:

http://www.blackhearteng.com/index.html

I use 2x5w heads, and two 1x2 cabinets for my stereo G-System rig, and it sound amazing for recording.

All I've done so far, is to replace all the tubes with NOS tubes.

If you're really ambitious, and find a few extra bucks, you can pull out the the PCB board and replace it with a handmade turretboard from Mojotone.com They also have Baffles and a new grill.

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=577300&pg=44991&id=5550101

8. TroyHamilton

What's the point of changing out the back panel of the cab? What is the intended benefit? I am assuming the grill is strictly cosmetic.

9. MusicESP

MusicESP Member

It comes down to personal preference, and speaker choice. The stock speakers are designed for use in a closed back cabinet. Stock extension cabinets have a completely closed back cabinet. Some speakers, sound better in an open back cabinet. The open back at mojotone.com gives you a choice.

10. TroyHamilton

Okay, great... thanks for the insight.

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

12. TroyHamilton

Who did the dual rec mod on yours?

13. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

The Blackheart site says the speaker is American voiced. Has anyone tried it with a Celestion, Red Coat or other British voiced speaker? Seems to me like a British voiced speaker would be a better match with an EL84 amp, but the designer knows a hell of alot more than I do!

14. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

15. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

The Blackheart site says that the combo's speaker is American voiced and that the separate cabinet's speaker is British voiced.