What does the future hold for the Gibson ES-339?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JoeNewbie, Oct 12, 2008.

What does the future hold for the ES-339?

1. The ES-339 will never be a true classic

2. The ES-339 is a new born classic

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Most of the "classic" guitars have acquired their status because a number of legendary artists have played them. Some say the ES-339 will never be viewed as a true classic as it is a reduced version of the ES-335. And since today's artists still favor the ES-335 over the ES-339, chances are the ES-339 will never achieve the true "classic" status.

Other people say the ES-339 provides exceptional price value, terrific looks and vintage sounds. Its price is meant to increase in the future and we are seeing the birth of a new classic.

Which of these views is closer to your own?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Given enough time it will go up in value. I think the CS-336 is destined to be more of a classic, since it's a different design for Gibson.

3. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I read somewhere that they have stopped production. If this is the case it will be a classic for sure IMO. It's a great guitar.

4. pitner

pitner Member

I got one for Christmas and IMHO its destined to be a keeper for me and a collector piece in the future. Good value compared to other Gibson Semi's. Mine is well made and plays like butter. Destined for greatness depends on who plays it?????

5. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have observed an awful lot of people get all excited about the 339 and then I've seen a lot of those sold not too long afterwards.

It was how often I saw it that made me take note of this.

6. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Would you care to mention your sources?

It seems like the model sells pretty well and they even came up with figured tops and an upscale ES-359 model. Doesn't seem like they'll stop production anytime soon.

7. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I love my 339
    Time will tell regarding it's "classic" potential.
    It fits nicely between the LP and 335 tone wise, very versatile and comfortable to play. I also have several LPs and a 335, the 339 has become my #1.

8. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

To me the ES-339 simply looks way better than the ES-335. I don't really agree with those who claim that its tone is so close to the 335's that we can't tell them apart though. It definitely sounds like a smaller guitar.

MF now offers the figured version for $3,249 (a $1,450 premium for a thin sheet of figured plywood). Ridiculous to say the least...

9. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Naw. The word "classic" is tossed about willy nilly like the word "genius" and becomes meaningless.
    It's a cool guitar but IMO won't be a "classic" because ultimately it doesn't really cover totally new ground like strats, teles, LPs, or 335s. It's just a variation on a theme and the "small body 335" thing has already been done by Ibanez and Heritage among others.

10. Rich

Rich Member

What Brian just said.

11. Rich

Rich Member

Also, Gibson itself has already done the "small 335" thing before.

12. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

If I run across the post again I'll flag it. It wasn't something that was put out officially. It was just a post I read from someone.

13. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

You'd have thought the Vegas guitars would've taught Gibson a lesson...

14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Once I heard there were inconsistency issues I was scared to go for one and ended up with a Hamer Artist custom which was reccommended by my luthier.

It has a coil split and can cover anything between an L5, 335, LP, and a Tele / strat tone.

This cured my 339 quest and also was about 800.00 less.(USED) If you ear craves the bluesy quality of the laminate wood then you may not like the Hamer sound but I have found it a good match for me.

Here's a few clips w. Hamer and mocking some various guitar tones...

Greg Watts

Azure Coast (Hamer / L5 Archtoppish)
    Tidepool (Hamer / Tele Tone)
    Cold Duck Time (Hamer / Stratty)
    Mocha Latte (Hamer / 335 ish)
    Chunkey Munkey (Hamer 335ish & Stratty)

15. mcinku

mcinku Member

I had a choice between 335 or 339 and the price was almost the same, so only criteria was tone and playability. I played both and I bought 339.
    I know, that doesn't mean much... will 339 be a true classic someday? I don't care it's a great guitar and I'm keeping it.

16. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Seriously, the Vegas was one ugly guitar. The 339 is gorgeous.

17. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

My 339 started life as a backup to my Strat. Then it became my #1. Now it's my only electric. The mystical powers that be may never annoint it with "classic" status, but I couldn't be happier with it. Best electric guitar I've ever owned.