1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What does the Lovepedal 200 lbs actually sound like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by porsch8, Mar 11, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Eric Johnson tone? What exactly is his signature tone like?
    Smooth and sustainy? Tons of gain?

Describe to me the tone this pedal is trying to achieve, or tones it CAN achieve

2. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

it seems it´s a clean cut, well behaved, politically correct, creamy, fat, full of sustain and friendly...silicon fuzz.

3. Curly

Curly Member

4. bullet69

bullet69 Member

As far as EJ's tone I think 200lb violin is the perfect description.

5. RickB

RickB Member

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

It's a remarkable pedal. It's tough to describe if you're unfamiliar with the sound and responsiveness of a good silicon fuzz face. I've been collecting fuzz faces for a while, and have come across only a few good ones.

The 200Lbs captures the feel, tone and responsiveness of a great Silicon Fuzz. Without changing the feel or responsiveness, it cuts off some of the high end so that the pedal's frequency response is more in line with your standard non-fuzz OD box. What that allows you to do is use this fuzz with the same amp settings as you use with your OD.

The controls operate a little differently as well. Unlike the Fuzz control on a traditional Fuzz Face, which is practically worthless except when dimed, the 200Lbs Fuzz control is useful throughout its full range. This is a nice feature because the 200 Lbs offers a ton of gain, and sometimes you want to use a little less without the change in responsiveness that comes from backing off your volume control.

The Fat control is exceptionally useful. It reduces the low end compression as you turn it clockwise. What sets a good Fuzz Face apart from a lot of modern dirt boxes is a ton of low end distortion. If you don't like that kind of thing, you probably want any of the more modern dirt/overdrive pedals, as they're almost all set up to eliminate some of it. The problem with having tons of low end is that if your signal is too hot the low end gets too compressed and you get even harmonics instead of wooly low end. The Fat control allows you to avoid this problem when, for example, you're using a neck humbucker that already hits the fuzz with a lot of low end.

I don't think I've been so impressed with a Fuzz pedal since I first heard Dave Fox's Silicon Fuzz.

7. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Thanks for that Mr Munky...Great overview
    I guess I am looking for a useable fuzz that is in the Jimi/Clapton territory like a Ge fuzz face, but is versatile as well. I want a fuzz that can do bluesy types of stuff, but then also get fairly high gain as much up to Jimmy Page style fuzz....Think Whole Lotta Love on How The West Was Won....

Is this my pedal?

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Nice review Munky!

9. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

This is exactly what I was thinking.

:jo

10. Don L

Don L Member

Mine's in the mail. Looking forward to checking it out. Have not bonded with any fuzz pedal so far.

11. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    Thanks for your thoughts Mr. Munky! I too love my FoxRox Hot Silicon and think it's arguably one of the best Silicon fuzzes out there. How does the 200 lbs. of Tone compare to the HS? Any insight is much appreciated! :)

12. MrMunky

I think the Hot Silicon makes for the best comparison. It's my favorite fuzz from the last 20 years, and my favorite ever behind a particularly sweet Crest Audio Fuzz Face, which was also made by Dave Fox, and a 1969 BC-108 Fuzz Face, which sounds great, but only when it's upside down with the bottom plate off (seriously).

The 200lbs has a lot in common with the HS---a lot of gain and sweet low end. The HS has a lot of high end, which sounds great, but when you switch from the HS to a modern overdrive or distortion, your tone sounds like the high end just got lobbed off. The best way to avoid that problem when you're recording is to EQ your amp differently or use a different amp when you're using fuzz vs. something else. Live this is more of a problem (and probably part of why Eric Johnson uses a four-amp setup). The 200 Lbs solves this problem by voicing the high end along more of a modern tone. It still has the same basic sound and responsiveness, but the high end is cut off at some frequency that puts it in line with a tubescreamer and other pedals EQ wise. What that means is you can plug this straight into your sparkly clean silverface super reverb and alternate between your 200 lbs and your tubescreamer without having to re-EQ the amp or stack the two pedals.

The other thing that sets it apart from the HS are the controls. The fuzz control on the 200lbs is actually useful. You can get lower-gain fuzz sounds with your guitar volume control on 10. And the FAT control gives you some control over the low end of the fuzz without getting in the way of its responsiveness.

There isn't too much you can do to a good silicon fuzz face circuit (aside from getting the transistor values right) before you ruin what makes it good, but I think Sean has come up with some invaluable tweaks that do not sacrifice the Fuzz Face mojo.

13. drod2045

drod2045 Member

man, i cant wait to recieve mine :)

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

It sounds like 200 grown men collectively whining that they're not sure when their pedal is coming. ;)

Seriously, I think SunnyRollins gave it a nice concise and fair review above. It still sounds like a fuzz, but it's a fuzz that is very easy to work with.

15. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

nice review !! excited to hear some talk on sounds...not sure how other people feel but i loved what you said about the "live" setup...tube screamer etc... sounds like a fuzz that plays so well live is just the ticket and great for the fuzz challenged like myself that has had a tough time incorporating it into the live pedal board..

thanks again for the ideas and review:AOK

16. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Mine showed up today, beautiful sounding pedal, I can not stop playing this thing since it arrived a couple hours ago. Here are a couple of pics of the silver finish.

This thing should be renamed to 200lbs of Whoop Ass!, the FAT control is PHAT in a good way, good review Mr Munky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Munky:

Impedance going in to a fuzz, and the impedance of the next pedal in line is so critical with most fuzz's. Two questions:

- Does it *need* to go first in the signal chain like most other fuzz's?

- How is it when it's followed by a booster or OD with a typical high impedance input? Does it change it's tone/responsiveness like other fuzz's.

TIA!

18. MrMunky

It's just like other fuzzes in that respect. If you run a buffer before it the 200lbs will sound mushy and will lose its essential character. That isn't to say that it is completely worthless after a buffer---maybe you're into that kind of tone. But it's no better after a buffer than other fuzzes are.

It's obvious that this machine is a real Fuzz Face at heart. It's not some sound-alike with a totally different design.

19. drod2045

drod2045 Member

im new to fuzzes and have one on order. i run my korg dt10 first in chain...guess im gonna have to reorder big time...perhaps dump my trailer trash and go for a pt2 even :(

20. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

psyched to get mine. Can anyone compare the Chandler/BK Butler tube driver Eric uses to get THAT tone with his cranked (yet dark) Marshalls versus the 200 lb pedal......???????