What does the Menatone "King of the Britains" sound like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SgtThump, Mar 24, 2006.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Say in relationship to pedals I know...

- Fulltone Fulldrive II
    - Xotic AC Booster
    - TS808
    - MI Audio Crunch Box

Can you describe the tone from a KOTB compared to the pedals above? Heck, any info would be appreciated (yes, i read the reviews).

Chris

2. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

3. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I owned a 5 knob KOTB for about three years. It's a Marshall voiced high gain overdrive. I'd say Brian Mena was trying for a hot rodded plexi/JCM 800 vibe when he designed the pedal originally. It's most like the Crunch Box, but a little bit more thin on the low end. These pedals actually vary quite widely though. Mine sounded great except for the aforementioned lack of low end whomp.

4. JimiB

JimiB Member

the 6 knobber that ive played does not lack low end whump :BOUNCE
    and does great great plexi tones plus having extra gain if you want it.

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, I know that some of pedals I mentioned aren't all that similar. I was just giving a list of pedals that I know pretty well to see if the KOTB is closer to one or the other.

Chris

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Closest would be the crunch box, and, I like the crunch box better, way easier to dial, more low end, not as much high end. Crunch box works with many more amps as well, whereas the KOB I had worked beautifully with my Rambler in triode mode, but sucked with my tone king.

7. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

The Menatone KOTB is pretty amp dependent. I don't like it with any fender type amp I've tried. It sounds ok through Marshalls, but sounds best through amps with ample midrange such as Vox and Vox derivitives. It has some bite to it, but it does get somewhere close to a Plexi meets JCM800. The bite is a little harsh depending on settings and amp settings, but so was my real Plexi.

To be general, it's definitly a distortion, not an overdrive.

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! Does the KOTB have as much distortion as the Crunch Box or no? I wouldn't expect it to have as much, but I dunno.

9. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

The Crunch Box borders on having too much distortion, whereas in some situations the KOB could be percieved as not having quite enough. Not often mind you, but certainly not as much as the CB.

10. lv

lv Supporting Member

The crunchbox has more, though to be honest, both of them have more than I would ever need in that when using a humbucker guitar, if I were to max the gain on either, both boxes would produce uncontrollable feedback. If you were using weak single coils and wanted high gain, the KOB might fall short. CB has LOTS of gain. When you factor the price in, I'd take the CB any day. Michael I is a genius, for $200 you could have the CB and the Blues one he makes, and cover sooo many tones. I like my Landgraff better as it does what those pedals do in one box and sounds/feels better, but its also twice the $.