What does the Peterson VSII do that the Strobstomp can't?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by justonwo, Jan 15, 2007.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

I've had a VSII for a couple of years, and it's a great tuner, but it sure would be nice to have a stomp box. I'm considering selling my VSII and getting one of the new Strobostomp units when they come out.

Anyone know what the VSII can do that the stomp won't be able to do? Same precision? Same features?

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, here's the answer to my own question. I just got off the phone with the (very friendly) Peterson sales rep. There are no features in the VS2 that I would be giving up if I switched to the Strobostomp. The VS2 is meant to be a bench-top tool and so it's buttons and switches are configured for that environment. The Strobobstomp is configured for the stage and so the buttons aren't as numerous or as user-friendly, but you can still dig into the same features if you need them.

So it looks like I'll be selling off my VS2 and getting a Strobostomp2 (the shiny silver one) when they come out, which is supposed to be right after NAMM. It'll be a lot more useful for me since I intonate very infrequently - but I've gotta tune my guitar live all the time. :)

3. Thor

Thor Member

Did the Peterson rep mention anything about improving the build quality of the SS with the new version? I am so on the edge of getting one, but the current model's build quality is just too suspect.

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

Yeah, it looks like the new stomps are built in a steel housing. He did mention that they are much more robust. Plus, they've added some features from the old one.

5. Thor

Thor Member

That is good news indeed - I just hope the price doesn't jump too much...

Cheers,

Edward

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I can't remember the source, but here 'tis:

The StroboStomp has the following features not found on the VS-II:
    1. 100% True Bypass switching & mute (that means all, yes ALL other tuners regardless of make or model - rack, pedal or handheld) will affect your tone EXCEPT the StroboStomp!
    2. Built-in Active DI (also muteable!)
    3. 4 Optimized Buzz Feiten settings
    4. Drop Tuning to 4 semitones
    5. Peterson 12-String Preset
    6. 9V operation and 9V output to other pedals (this baby also works on anything from 7V to 12VDC as long as the power is regulated, all other tuners fry!
    7. Die-Cast aluminum construction

The VS-II has the following features not found on the StroboStomp:

1. E9 Preset for pedal steel guitar
    2. C6 Preset for pedal steel guitar
    3. Presets for Just Major, 1/4 Comma Meantone, Pythagorean, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III, Young & Kellner.
    4. Passive Tone Generator
    5. Tune/Adjust parameters simultaneously (Roadies, techs and luthiers take note!)
    6. Built-in Mic
    7. Adjustable Backlight
    8. Rubber protective boot
    9. 3VDC adapter included

The StroboStomp offers the following features not found on any other pedal tuners:

1. 100% True Bypass (after you've upgraded to Motherbucker SuperDuper® pickups, exotic wood and the Class A amp with cascading triple preamps and 6L6s, ask yourself what that tone-sucking non-true-bypass tuner is still doing on your pedal board !
    2. Ten preset tuning temperaments (All other pedals are limited to one - standard Equal temperament)
    3. Accuracy to 0.1 cent (30 times as accurate as the leading competitor)
    Duh??? A tuner's job is to be accurate, otherwise its an expensive mute switch, get real !
    The StroboStomp is accurate enough to do intonation, no other tuner pedal can match it!
    4. Real Time (not "sample & average") operation. Want immediate tracking? Then forget everything else, this is the only one.
    5. Optimized Buzz Feiten settings
    6. Programmability (two 13-tone user programmable temperaments) Insurance against the future
    7. Built-in DI
    8. Recessed Stomp Switch Have you seen the tests? Click here
    9. Value for money (its a programmable tuner, true bypass loop box and an active DI in one unit)
    10.Space saver (see 9.)
    11.Style & good looks

7. cameron

cameron Member

Why steel? The aluminum housing of the existing design is sturdy and light. People think it's plastic because of its bright blue paint job. I understand they plan to use better quality jacks on the new model, but the aluminum body was fine, it just needed to be shrunken a bit, and not painted Romper Room blue.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's not a pedal tuner, but check out the new turbo-tuner (turbo-tuner.com). i replaced my vsII with it, and it beats the peterson for $130! it's a real, not "virtual" strobe, so it actually tracks better, like an analog strobe wheel. its display is an analog set of leds that respond directly to signal input without any computation at all, so there is no lag, a truer, more informative display, and, since no processing power is spent counting cycles or creating a virtual display, it easily and immediately grabs and tracks any note i throw at it. oh, yeah, and it has all kinds of temperaments built in, as well as letting me program in and store buzz f and anything else. i wish the displays were bigger for pedalboard use, but this thing is cool!

9. OOG

OOG Member

not steel, same box with different paint, jacks, led operation and a few more tunnings
    btw
    the enclosure is taken from a Pete Cornish design
    the 2 "humps" on either side of the footswitch are to prevent nervous feet from bottoming out the footswitch and breaking the c board

10. Luke V

Luke V Member