1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

what does the sliver bell sound like??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by re-animator, Jan 24, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Thinking this might be a good combination with an alnico blue in an ac30... my guess is that its somewhere between the blue, the greenback, and the g1265.... but this is pretty much a guess.

Who has experience?? can't get any specific descriptions anywhere.

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

All I can say is that I didn't care a whole lot for the one I tried. 50 watt Ceramic with pre-rola doping. Sorry.

There's a bunch of sound clips here:
    http://www.fredacabs.com/silverbell.cfm

3. Dave

Dave Member

I had a 2x12 loaded with a Blue and a Silver Bell, 30 watts, ceramic, light dope. I never actually listened to the SB on it's own, sorry I can't give you a detailed description, but I loved the way it sounded paired with the Blue. It seemed to have strengths where the Blue had weakness. Solid low end and punchy lower mids. It compliments the Blue better than any other speaker I've tried, and I've tried a lot!

Just my humble opinion.

4. re-animator

interesting.... that's what I was hoping for... so I could still have Voxy chime, but get a slightly fatter and more singing lead sound out of an ac30.

5. erplander

erplander Member

What kind of amp are you running into that cabinet? I'm thinking about pairing the same two speakers to go with a Bassman head. I'm trying to decide between the 30 watt and 50 watt versions.

6. Dave

Dave Member

I've since sold it, but I was using it with my Clark Kanee Reverb head which is like a blackface PR on steroids. I went with the 30 watt because that's all I needed and a lot of people seem to prefer it to the 50 watt.

It was a great sounding cab with that amp, I wish I could have kept it, but I ended up with a 2x12 loaded with Weber 12F150s for a more traditional Fender sound.

7. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I don't know about the Silver Bells, but usually I run my Vox-ish amps through a pair of alnico Silver Tens. I think they are a little warmer than the Blue Pups, and they can moderate some of the ice-picky /harsh tones that can jump out of a Vox at certain settings. That said, they have slightly less chime (but only slightly). I like 'um a lot.

8. talpa

talpa Member

Are you talking an orignal Vox Silver ? I have 2 paired in an NCM 2x12 cab.
    Unreal tone with my JMJ30 head - all set in an NCM trolley.

Do need a recommendation on a mismatch for them. Want to take 1 out and add something, maybe a Gold, G12-65 ?

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I did a comparison on my Dr. Z Stangray (really cranked).... I mic'd the alnico silver bell and played, then moved the mic to the blue and played.

I recorded it, and you can hear the difference at: www.guitartest.moonfruit.com on the Stangray page (bottom clip on right).

I like the combination of the Weber blue/SB myself!

10. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Member

I have the Alnico 50 watt Silver Bell. I had it in a mojo open back 1/12. It sounded pretty good. Then, I paired it up with a G12H in my Z-best--WOW. The silver bell has a big round bottom, warm mids--kind of like a bigger Greenback with more bottom and a clearer top. The G12H has a big bottom and an aggressive bright top. They seem to compliment each other very well with a nice 3D effect.

11. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

re-animator.

It's well known matching a silver and a blue is a to die for combo. Many many more folks dig this combo then don't. Matching a alnico with a ceramic works just fine too. I use a ceramic silver/blue combo, 50 watt rated per speaker with light dope and I love them in my Vox 2-12 with a AC-30 cc head. I love this combo with all my amps.

I think these are as good as any vintage speaker. I own tons of the real deal ones but these are killer too. I'm not a hype guy or "Blind" to the truth of how things sound. Grab a pair and go! The silver cermics are really pretty close to the GOOD old 25 watters with the good cones.

I have a '69 basketeave cab with a quad of 25 watters with 014 cones and they sound identical to me. VERY very close. In a blind test to the old greenies you couldn't tell a difference. They are that good.

I am actually considering selling the cab. I 've kept it for years because of the speakers but now with the killer speakers that can be bought I don't really think you need the old speakers for great tone, IMO. The old marshall cab does sound killer though.

plexi

12. re-animator

i'm druling already :)

looks like i've found a buyer for my super reverb too, so I could have an ac-30 by the weekend :)

just want to make sure that the silver and blue are similar in terms of sensitivity/loudness.

13. Dave

Dave Member

Again, I can only comment on the 30 watt, but the ceramic SB and Celestion Blue seemed to have the same perceived loudness, which always seemed to be a problem with other speakers I'd tried.

14. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I had almost the exact same setup as vdoochild7, except my Alnico Silver Bell was 30 watts. I had it paired with a G12H in my beautiful blonde Z-Best cab and it was heavenly. I was running an RX ES head thru the cab. If I ever make another speaker change, and I'm going for alnico, I'm either going to get a Celestion Gold or another Alnico Silver Bell.

15. evbrad2007

evbrad2007 Member

I have a 30 watt ceramic Silver Bell with pre-rola doping in my Victoriette (1x12) and it sounds fantastic. Big, tight lows, balanced mids and highs are smooth, possibly a bit "dark" for some. My Vicky originally came with the Greenback upgrade, which also sounds very good but more mid forward, less low end, more aggressive highs. I now run the two together with the Greenback in a Jenkins cab and I love the result.

16. clamdip7714

clamdip7714 Guest

I'll push it because they are the best sounding speaker I have used to date. The Fane AXA 12 is another great choice if you have the wattage to push em. They're 100 watters.

[​IMG]