What don't you like about Fractal's modeling?

We hear a lot of talk about how great the Axe FX's modeling is. But what are some testimonies from you all who have owned one and didn't like it? What were the reasons reasons you didn't like it?

Bob Zod

We hear a lot of talk about how great the Axe FX's modeling is. But what are some testimonies from you all who have owned one and didn't like it? What were the reasons reasons you didn't like it?

Too many options and tweaks. I had one (AFXIII) for a month that I borrowed. Even as a Line 6 fanboi I will admit the Fractal units do sound better BUT none of them including the AFXIII can match the Helix workflow and UI. A "simple mode" option would do Fractal well. My mixer has it on some things.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Too many options and tweaks. I had one (AFXIII) for a month that I borrowed. Even as a Line 6 fanboi I will admit the Fractal units do sound better BUT none of them including the AFXIII can match the Helix workflow and UI. A "simple mode" option would do Fractal well. My mixer has it on some things.

Not to defend them, as I have the same issue as everyone else here, and I've never been a Fractal user, probably never will be, BUT, isn't the first screen that pops up when you select, say, an amp model, the "simple mode"?

Meaning, if you don't go any further than the "optimized" or whatever they call it, screen, isn't that pretty much the simplest mode?

It has changed somewhat now, but not entirely; but I always felt that Fractal’s effects felt more like the effects you’d hear from rack systems or plug-ins. They didn’t feel like a collection of effects pedals so much.
I thought that too till I tried actual plugins from Eventide, Arturia, etc. and thought the plugins sounded way more 3D and full.

sleewell2

But this discussion is about the modeling.

When people ask you what you think about how your car drives, do you tell them about how comfy or not the seats are?

are you sure that is what this discussion is about. i just re read the op and still think the response is inline.

if someone asked my how my new car drives and i hated anything about it i feel like it would be a good time to bring it up. they are basically asking if you like the car or not. if you wanna get so specific thats on you but the responses are very valid given the OP.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
There's not a lot to find fault with in their modeling. I suppose one thing I would caution against is that it is now very raw and very detailed. If you're used to digital devices that sound more polished (like a studio processed tone from the referenced amp) it might be a bit of a surprise.

They sound more like the raw amp and give you the tools to do any of the studio polish yourself if that's the sound you want.

It has changed somewhat now, but not entirely; but I always felt that Fractal’s effects felt more like the effects you’d hear from rack systems or plug-ins. They didn’t feel like a collection of effects pedals so much.

I do agree, but that has been changing somewhat lately. They have been adding a lot more effects pedal style models to many of the effects blocks. The new delay block has several stomp box delay models, and the chorus block also has some stomp box chorus models.

This is the only real "complaint" I have about the modeling. The other would be that I feel it's more difficult to get a good sound using amp model and a real poweramp and cab than some other offerings.

Otherwise, Fractal modeling is among the best currently offered.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom