What don't you like about Fractal's modeling?

karlic

I'm not sure I get the UI issue. Are we talking about front panel knob turning?
I have Axe Edit open all the time. No need to use the front plate at all.

Also, we use the 108s at rehearsal for the whole band. They work pretty great actually.
I'd happily buy a Kemper or other modeller without a front panel. As long as you have editing via a computer, phone or iPad it would be fine. Also I wouldn't have to drag a 3u rack around when travelling.

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
It’s SO easy. Just using this Yamaha MIDI Bluetooth Dongle (MD-BT01).

I just plugged it into my FM9. Turned on the FM9. Opened FracPad on my iPad. Boom - connected and recognized my FM9. Easy peasy.

Thanks for this. I forgot about Fracpad etc. I am ordering this

jerryratpack

Beano can’t cure this sort of GAS
Double Platinum Member
EDIT, I re-rolled to V19, and it sounds great! IGNORE REST OF POST :)

I just rolled back to 18.03 . For some reason , i cant get a handle on many of my favorite patches , I cant explain it ,but , just not hitting the normal euphoria tones i am used to :dunno

I understand the modeling didnt change, so not sure why my ears are not adjusting to the recent master volime and other changes etc.

When firmware changes, I typically can make a few adjustments and boom, there it is, but for some reason, I am struggling , and I don’t have the patience to redo .

But thats ok, really digging pre 19.00 so i am good.

I will roll my own from scratch eventually for Firmware 19. And above, but for now i am more excited for to get the Yamaha wireless dongle and downloading FracPad ,

Last edited:

LaXu

I'm not sure I get the UI issue. Are we talking about front panel knob turning?
I have Axe Edit open all the time. No need to use the front plate at all.

Also, we use the 108s at rehearsal for the whole band. They work pretty great actually.
If you always use Axe-Edit then you are unlikely to run into any issues. It's a great software.

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
Most of the time I'm running a strat with Slider 69/woodstock pickups. Strats are my base sound - the one i know best - so i generally dial in a patch with my strat(s), and then tweak if necessary to fit my PRS or other humbucker guitars.

At this point, I have entirely different presets for different guitars, which are largely just duplicates with different settings. Friedman 4 Strat, Friedman 4 JEM, etc. Even with the high output pickups in some (most) of my guitars, I’ve got an EMG707 in my 7-string and Fishman’s in a 6-string, they sound different enough that they’re worth having their own presets for. Then sometimes I’ll just use the same preset but different guitars for variation if it works for the song.

That’s something I really dug about Austin Buddy’s Live Gold; the main first scenes are for humbuckers and the additional scenes are intended to deliver the same kind of sound, but for single coils. Those presets have been invaluable to me when I’m focused on writing and don’t want to spend forever tweaking because my biggest point of contention when writing is getting caught up in tweaking. I’m continuously blown away at how well those presets work for the range of guitars/pickups I have with such minor tweaks being made to them.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
I'd imagine that Fractal are hurting a bit when it comes to sales, but only because there is huge demand for the FM9, but no stock for them to sell for quite a while.

It must be galling for FAS to not be able to service that demand.

I did buy an FM3 because I wanted to try out the Fractal ecosystem, although what I really wanted was the FM9.

I'd imagine that people like me, who bought a lesser/greater FAS product because they can't get an FM9, are going to be exception not the rule.

I think control of supply is part of Fractal's business's strategy. This allows them to build to demand vs mass manufacturing a product to meet projections. It's a more conservative path but a more successful one for a small business, they never have capital tied into excessive unsold inventory and production issues found on a small batch can be corrected for the next batch vs a being stuck with that issue. And of course scarcity keeps prices up (they aren't competing with their own units on the used market) and the hype train going often creating buy twice scenarios for dedicated fans

dickjonesify

Alright, I said what I don’t like. I played for a while last night and things were just clicking left and right trying different amps. All four /13 amps, the Carr Rambler, the Supro, AC20’s… all amazing! Had loads of fun using the jumped Tweed Deluxe cranked for a fuzz tone.

Anywho, back to the whining.

deathbyguitar

As long as we're talking about things that have nothing to do with modeling...

I wish the Axe-FX III had the USB MIDI Adapter mode like the Axe-FX II had. That came in handy when needing to play electronic drums live via Superior Drummer. The II was a great low-latency audio interface for my Roland Kit and Superior. Not to mention I'd love to try and run guitar, bass and drums all through the unit at the same time.

Foxmeister

Gold Supporting Member
It's a more conservative path but a more successful one for a small business, they never have capital tied into excessive unsold inventory and production issues found on a small batch can be corrected for the next batch vs a being stuck with that issue.
I completely agree, but it does seem like the global semiconductor shortage has significantly increased the waiting time between the first batch of FM9s and subsequent batches, compared to the FM3 launch.

Reactions: Den

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
My long list of Fractal modelling grievances;
- No ADA MP-1 model.
This. My list of actual problem is short . . . and they are more "wishlist items" than problems. I have zero problems with the UI - I use Axe-Edit for building patches and then the front panel for live edits. I've never had an issue?

After the Quantum firmware I sold almost all of my amps. If I can't get the tone with the Fractal it's on me and my hands.

Fireproof

Nobody's fault but mine
Platinum Supporting Member
I guess I need to check if it has improved.

With my CME Widi Master dongle, which has connected to everything else without problems, Fracpad or my iPad had massive issues connecting. It would work 1 time out of 10 which makes it unusable for me.

I felt Fracpad lacked a lot of polish but had a lot of good things about it.
Interesting. Well, it was just my first day with it. I’ll continue to play with it and report back if there are any major issues. The developer has said that FM9 support is not officially supported right now, so there could be some unique issues with the FM9. But I haven’t seen any yet. Fingers crossed.

gtr37

Alright, I said what I don’t like. I played for a while last night and things were just clicking left and right trying different amps. All four /13 amps, the Carr Rambler, the Supro, AC20’s… all amazing! Had loads of fun using the jumped Tweed Deluxe cranked for a fuzz tone.

Anywho, back to the whining.
Those models are great especially the Carr there is a preset that a member did a mock Toneking Imperial w that model changing to 6v6 and a few other tweaks and it sounds awesome
Kind of Fender Kind of Vox

BWebb

Off Topic Soapbox Alert: I think the series of threads in the FAS forum show that Cliff is not only meticulous, but he is also hyper-competitive. Neither trait is bad in and of itself, but both certainly have the potential to rub people the wrong way.

More like hyper-sensitive, as evidenced by those “my penis is bigger than your penis” comparison threads posted recently. God forbid someone says a competing product sounds good or even offers constructive criticism. But I guess most users have tin ears.

fretworn

More like hyper-sensitive, as evidenced by those “my penis is bigger than your penis” comparison threads posted recently. God forbid someone says a competing product sounds good or even offers constructive criticism. But I guess most users have tin ears.
Are you looking in the mirror per chance?:huh

Top Bottom