What effect is on this track? (Widespread Panic content)

Smashies

Platinum Supporting Member
Does anyone know what pedal Michael Houser used with his lead lines on the studio recording of Chilly Water off of the Space Wrangler album? He never seemed to use the effect live, but there's something being used for sure (at least I think) in the studio take.

EDIT: I can hear delay and maybe reverb being used, but I feel that there's some kind of modulation effect going on. I didn't specify that originally--my bad! :)

Any ideas?

Thanks TGP!

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I would venture a light fast UniVibe. Might even be a post production thing.

dcbc

Sounds like a strat in the number 2 position on the pickup selector with a little bit of reverb to me. Saw them a handful of times and listened to that album a lot, and the rhythm guitar on that track was never something that jumped out at me, though.

LL1

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure what Houser used on that album but ive covered that tune numerous times based off that version and can nail tone with humbucker>Rat>slight chorus>light short delay> clean amp

Smashies

Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure what Houser used on that album but ive covered that tune numerous times based off that version and can nail tone with humbucker>Rat>slight chorus>light short delay> clean amp
Thanks!! I didn't think about how the signature of the dirt probably contributes to that sound, and I bet it IS a RAT. Houser sounds (on this track) a bit mid-career Jeff Beck to me, tonally, and he used a RAT all the time then.

Trending Topics