What effect is this? Radiohead

ZepFuzz05

To me it sounds like the intermodulated glitching that occurs with an older DigiTech Whammy when pitch-shifting up by an especially large interval (1 or even 2 octaves) - those notes may have been played in a lower register (that is also more difficult to track) and pitched up in order to get that characteristic, complex "warble". This explanation is made more likely by the fact that both Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien have used Whammy WH-1 and WH-4 pedals heavily since the 90's.

Young Dad

Silver Supporting Member
To me it sounds like the intermodulated glitching that occurs with an older DigiTech Whammy when pitch-shifting up by an especially large interval (1 or even 2 octaves) - those notes may have been played in a lower register (that is also more difficult to track) and pitched up in order to get that characteristic, complex "warble". This explanation is made more likely by the fact that both Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien have used Whammy WH-1 and WH-4 pedals heavily since the 90's.
Dang man thanks

it’s a WH-4, the WH-1 doesn’t glitch the way that the 4 does

and in the studio anything goes… could be Thom using Ed’s, we’ll never know
Indeed, anything could go on in the studio.

As to which Whammy it is, that's pretty debatable. To my ears it sounds rather similar to this guitar track, which is most certainly Jonny playing thru his WH-1 (the WH-4 was not released when My Iron Lung was recorded).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom