What effects did Billy Corgan use

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ranster44, May 31, 2018.

1. baseggio

baseggio Member

Wow, @cookieshoes that was one of the best things I've ever read on TGP...

Haiku36, chilln and Jess 1971 like this.
  2. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

gear i bought just because of Siamese Dream
    1978 Muff
    EHX Micro Synth
    Maestro Fuzzstain
    Maestro Phaser MP-1
    Jordan Bosstone
    Mutron Bi-Phase
    MXR Distortion II
    MXR Phase 100
    Eventide H3000

The H3000 i believe was responsible for all the cool delay stuff in Soma, Hummer, and Starla. its the most under the

jwny72 likes this.
  3. jcoriha

jcoriha Member

Hummer live delay is a Korg SDD2000, not the classic Edge 3000, or the Eventide. Its on the album version of Silver**** too. The Hummer outro delay sounds like a Space Echo, which is also on Today and Geek. Butch mentioned the Space Echo. Ever since I got a SDD2000 the sounds stick out like crazy. The Eventide is definitely on Soma.

4. richbon

richbon Member

Jess 1971 likes this.
  5. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Recently been listening to Machina II and really digging the guitar sounds. The sounds are so varied on this album, but he frequently gets a fuzzy shoegaze kind of tone. Maybe a Mesa amp, but I'm thinking some kind of fuzz too. Track like this sounds really cool.

6. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

7. Dr. Tinnitus

Dr. Tinnitus Member

People keep bring up Butch Vig and the multiple, layered guitar tracks. While that is important, Corgan pulled off very similar sounds live. Watch the live Chicago show and tell me that's not true. He's got some switcher board on stage, which I'm guessing is running pedal combos in the back.

Anyway, if you knock his sound or his guitar playing after watching that show, you must not appreciate rock guitar playing...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  8. IAO

IAO Member

He uses testosterone supplements from infowars and a My Bloody Valentine record set on mainstream.

Help!I'maRock! and wye like this.
  9. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

This is great!

ebenezer likes this.
  10. chandra

chandra Member

Underrated post.

Corgan is a big influence of mine. He was the "EVH" of the alt. rock movement during the 90s. I really do think he's in te same echelon of the other guitar greats, but never got his shine cause he would continue to put his foot in his mouth. A much more tolerable human being niwadays though.

Peep how this mans utilized Phaser, Flanger, Delay, Fuzz, stacked guitar tracks, pyrotechnics. His singing voice isn't good, but he learned to harness it and make it something marketable. His songwriting is incredible, and he could write classic tunes, yet flip em on their head so they come off as something alien, new, unique. His amp selection over the years...I could go on.

Great musician. A huge influence of mine. I don't want to sound like him, but he really switched up how many people play guitars, and also caused ripples in the pedal buisiness almost three decades ago. Wow.

11. cdreyes81

cdreyes81 Member

This is exactly why Billy is my favorite guitarist. He doesn't have to wank around for minutes playing blues scales.

desire machine likes this.
  12. cdreyes81

cdreyes81 Member

Exactly. Great words.

desire machine likes this.
  13. cdreyes81

cdreyes81 Member

Exactly

14. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Is the swirling Leslie type sound on Rhinoceros a phaser or something else?

15. Ape2000

Ape2000 Supporting Member

I know Billy, James, and Jeff for that matter all have used a ton of different phasers. Wondering if I could pick some SP fans' brains on one phaser to cover a wide range.

Particular Pumpkins phaser tones I enjoy: Stand Inside Your Love, I of the Mourning, Mayonnaise, Soma. There's others, but these are among the first that come to mind. Also, can I just say Violet Rays is a super pretty sounding tune?

16. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

Billy uses a Boss PH-3 live these days to cover his entire catalogue. I just bought one and I love it.

marmalade cream and Ape2000 like this.
  17. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

OP amp big muff.
    Corgan has mellowed I think. Watched him on the joe rogan podcast and i think hes an ok guy. Back in the day i have seen him storm off stage and refuse to finish the show. Not cool.

18. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

While I am a Boss Fan boy, and not a line 6 multi effect fan, I thought he was using a Line 6 HX Effects setup these days. Who knows what the truth is...

19. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Supporting Member

In his most recent Rig Rundown he was using a PH-3 but it might be the Line 6 now, not sure.

20. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Agree fully with @Jess 1971, this.

Jess 1971 and Ape2000 like this.