What effects go into an Acoustic Simulator?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aksman, Feb 12, 2008.

1. aksman

aksman Member

So what's going on in an Acoustic Simulator pedal? would like to see if it can be replicated using standard effects on a multi-unit.

2. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

hmm...interesting question..

3. aksman

aksman Member

noone's got anything? am i gonna have to buy a boss pedal?

4. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Don't know what's under the hood, but you can get close to the results you get from a simulator with a graphic EQ and a reverb unit.

5. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

most of those simulators are a digital modeling type of thing, which means you aren't going to get the same results using a collection of standard effects. some creative use of EQ might get you close though...

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

Most I've seen, the small stomp boxes, it's just some extreme scooped equalization, commonly known as EQ. They sound like a ****** piezo pickup on a cheap acoustic... don't sound like a real acoustic at all really but it sort of takes up that space in the mix if you are playing with a band.

7. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Check this thread...

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=351113

Some of the products are designed to enhance an acoustic with a pickup system. The DTAR unit will work with Piezo equipped electrics. Jaywalker is very high on the discontinued but very obtainable Yamaha Magicstomp.

For Electrics...(in no particular order)
    The Boss AC-2 has been better received than the more current AC-3 (check Harmony Central reviews)
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/brand/Boss
    the Korg PX5D $249 Acoustic Sim feature looks intriguing to me.
    Yamaha Magicstomp
    The Zoom A2 could be fine for $99.

Many of these units are actually using a sampled acoustic sound and some even provide a blend feature to mix with your dry signal. There are several EQ pre type devices but those are geared toward making a pickup equipped acoustic sound more like a mic'd acoustic. Let us know where you go with this. I'm getting a piezo equipped electric and the DTAR Mama Bear looked best for that scenario.

8. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

For most of my sims I use the yamaha bass algos on the stomp for sweepable acoustic like frequencies.electric guitar algos are usually limited to mid frequencies so wont get you near what you need for a decent acoustic sim.
    A standard EQ will not really get you in the right ballpark.
    Multiband compression helps too.