1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What effects unit would you reccomend for vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by agentcooper2001, Mar 24, 2006.

1. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

I've pretty much got my guitar setup the way I want it. Now, I need to get something for vocals. I sing about 1/2 the songs in my band and I'm looking for something to warm up the vocals. Perhaps something with compression, reverb & delay. Something not awfully expensive either. What do you guys think?

2. msp

msp Member

i have been thinking about the same thing here lately. A buddy of mine has been recomending this:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=871

it has xlr ins and outs and supposedly sounds great for live application vocal processing

i was going to give it a try in a month or two

3. Den

Den Member

I was researching this as well and found some great information over at Harmony Central on the Live Sound forum ... some folks there have a lot of experience with the various vocal processors. It's worth doing a search there.

4. JayDA

JayDA Member

You can't go wrong with a TC M-One, nice pro quality unit with lots of options, I have two and they've been extremely reliable and sound great. There are a lot of used options out there, the Yamaha SPX stuff is nice, you can find them on ebay cheap every now and then. Check out http://srforums.prosoundweb.com ...tons of information there.

5. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Are there any units in floor pedal format? It would be pretty rad for a singer to be able to control a filter or comp on his voice live.

6. tlester

tlester Member

TC Electronic makes a Helicon (vocal processor) in a floor model that the singer can stomp on for FX.

7. JayDA

JayDA Member

Stay away from the pedal format multi effects, most of them don't have balanced connections, and just aren't worth it..YMMV.

8. msp

msp Member

agreed

you would have higer quality results just getting a cheap midi foot pedal and sticking with a rack unit

9. Madsman

Madsman Member

The TC has balanced connections, as does the older Digitech stomp thing that you can get for like $100. Neither is a supremely robust choice, IMO. You're better off figuring out what effects you need, and choosing them appropriately... then running your own preamp, and a midi pedal.

I have the Digitech, and it works well, but has effect dropouts when you change presets, and I have a student who has the TC and likes it.

10. jonah

jonah Member

I just got a TC-Helion Voice Live and tried it for the first time yesterday, playing a smaller acoustic gig... I'm not a pro in any sense, but I was gladly surprised by the quality of the product. I can really recommend it.
    . jonah