What EL84 amp do you want under the tree this year????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mangoman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

A goodsell

LordByron likes this.
  2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

3. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I have one. It's my most-used amp in my amp collection. I even have "better" amps, if you measure by price.

I bought it early last year. I upgraded the tubes early on. It's going in for a output transformer upgrade any day (Mercury, Haddon).

Maybe you need some time to break in the speakers or you could try a tube upgrade? Of course, the Vox just may not be the sound you are chasing or maybe it doesn't mate well with your guitar. I suspect it is not the latter because it plays well with all my guitars (mostly Les Pauls and Jazzmasters).

Echoplexi likes this.
  4. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I'd like something with 4 6l6's

5. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

Any one of these 3 would be nice. Honestly, I am loaded with EL84 amps.

Satellite Atom
    Magic Crossroads
    Jackson Newcastle

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Satellite Neutron, please Santa? :)

Geeze likes this.
  7. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Going the opposite direction; El34's this year.

8. paulitk

paulitk Member

I generally prefer 6v6 amps, but have had the itch for something more british after selling my AC15.
    I went out and played a ton of amps last week, quite a few boutiques, and my 2 favorite were the least expensive I tried. Bassbreaker 15, and the Vox AC10. I've always wanted a Princeton Reverb, and liked the cleans on the Bassbreaker better playing back to back. The low-end didn't get farty like the Princeton. Probably because of the bigger speaker. I've seen a few 12" Princetons around, that I want to try out. I really liked the Friedman's I tried, the Runt 20 is very versatile, but for the money, I can get the Bassbreaker which I liked as much for less than half the price. Played a Supro Comet, and liked it, but wasn't as impressed as I was with the BB15. I want to try out a Laney Lionheart, because it has a lot of features I want, but haven't seen one in the Atlanta Area. I'm really thinking of going with the Bassbreaker.

Played a Soldano, Morgan, and a Matchless, and they sounded great, but I'm not at the point of spending more than $2k for an amp. Maybe down the road.

9. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

A Dumble! So I can sell it!

mangoman likes this.
  10. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Treated myself to the Fargen Epic 30 in the emporium. It's being shipped directly to Ben for a MV and some updates!

It will hopefully be a nice alternative to the heavy Matchless rigs when I need a little more than the Lightning can give and don't want to drag a Clubman and cab.

11. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

12. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

This.

13. Peppy

Peppy Member

I already have mine...2013 Magnatone Varsity. 1 x 12" combo. I have owned two British-built ACs (both with the blue Celestions) and an early Matchless SC/30, so I have a decent background with EL84s.

The Varsity is less chimey and more open-sounding than EL84s would suggest. Less chimey than my VOXes and Matchless. Hit the NFB switch and, for me, no OD pedals need apply. Louder than it appears both on paper and in person. Lightweight. Excellent speaker (Warehouse speaker), perfectly complements the circuit.

I use single coil-equipped guitars for reference. Only change I have made is the color of the pilot lamp.

LordByron and MHG like this.
  14. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Already have mine - Mesa Mark V:35. Very Fendery cleans, sig. OD ch. delivers those voices too - I have a TA15 for my Vox AC15 tone, all day and all of the night.

15. mark123

mark123 Member

Santa's gonna bring me a Frenzel Sweet Little 15 (Matchless/Vox voiced) head. Ordered up one of their other amps a few months ago and was really impressed and didn't have anything in the Vox style in the stable.

Geeze likes this.
  16. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Magnatone Panoramic Stereo

17. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

I was going to say that no one had mentioned a Satellite Atom or neutron
    Do yourself a favour and check these amps out.

Geeze and big mike like this.
  18. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Some very good amps mentioned here. I would love a Todd Sharp JOAT 20 (if its just popping up under the tree)

big mike likes this.
  19. Roccorobb

Roccorobb Member

Matchless Cobra.

NOT the king cobra, which is EL34 based, I believe. Though I wouldn't mind having it.

My lust for this amp is exacerbated by the fact that I've never ever actually seen one in the wild, ever. I'd say it was my Phoenix but that would be confusing.

Definitely won't be under the tree this year. But I am hardly complaining. I just picked up an AC30CC1 for $350 which is serving me just fine! :D

20. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

This