What else is like a COT 50?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Feb 20, 2006.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

So I tried a COT 50 and it's way too bright on my Gibson GoldTone amp. If I mess with the tone controls it sounds really excellent but then my clean tone is killed.

Is there another pedal like the COT 50 that might have a way to tame down the presence?

John

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

COT 50 blue (sounds like it may be up your alley as it is touted to be warmer)
    Pro analog Dual Drive at 18 volts on the green (cleaner) channel can do this
    Marshall Bluesbreaker (original) Can sound like the COT at certain settings.

Of course these cicuits arent the same, but the tones are there to my ear at least. It just takes some tweaking and depends on what type of COT sounds you want (dirty clean, overdrive or fuzz). Also, did you try just rolling back off the vol or tone a tad bit that makes a big impact on the COT 50.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

My Throbak Overdrive Boost pedal can pretty nail the COT50 thing, especially in Germanium mode. It also cleans up really nice just like the COT. But unlike the COT it can do a bunch of other stuff too, it has a master volume and great EQ so that you can match up to just about any rig.

www.throbak.com

4. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

yeah, the blue led is great....

5. vgm

vgm Member

Which Gibson Goldtone do you have?

6. Ned

Ned Member

COTblue works wonderrrssss with my Gibson LP...i had a fab50 before which was great but i did notice when i had my volume rolled up it was sharp on the treble...the COTblue just hits it right for me :AOK

7. JohnLutz

>>Which Gibson Goldtone do you have?

I have a Gibson GA-30RVS with Celestian g12h30's and Mulder speaker cables.

Sounds big.

John

8. JohnLutz

>>Which Gibson Goldtone do you have?

I have a Gibson GA-30RVS with Celestian g12h30's and Mulder speaker cables.

Sounds big.

John

9. blueprint

blueprint Member

Don't be surprised with what I'm going to say, but you should look at an Analogman Sunface NKT...
    Yes, it's a fuzz face, not an overdrive, but if you roll down your guitar's volume just a bit, say 8 or 9, you get a very nice bluesy tone responsive to playing dynamics. Everything you bought the COT for, isn't it?
    ;)