What Emi 12 is similar to Celestion G12-65?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RSK, Jan 10, 2008.

1. RSK

RSK Member

I just ordered a Fuchs ODS 30 head and was looking for speaker options.

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I beleive that is the Tone Spotter.

3. bosstone

bosstone Member

Yes, it is the Tone Spotter. Just about all the speaker manufacturers have their version of the G12-65.

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Hum,

I played and recorded most of the range. Would have said the Red White and Blues is closer than others.................... darker than the 65's but nice. :D

Tonespotter nothing like in my opinion, but hey all sounds different depending on gear anyway.................

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

I haven't tried the Tonespotter but that is the one the Eminence compares to the g12-65. I have had the R W & Blues and it does have many of the same characteristics as the G12-65 and was the only Eminence Speaker that stood out for me when I listened to all their sound clips. It is a very good speaker at a low price.

6. cyrja

cyrja Supporting Member

as someone who just replaced his RW&B with a 12-65 in my ODS30slx, allow me to say get the 12-65!!! Its awesome

or you can buy my RW&B :)

7. RSK

RSK Member

Thanks for the help, Eddie from Indoor Storm had mentioned that he really liked the Emi that was comparable to the 65, but wasn't sure of the name. I know they make a 50W model, the Legend GB128, and was trying to determine which model was comparable. I will probably go with the Celestion.

8. jspax7

jspax7 Member

The speaker you choose should reflect the tone that you're after.

You bought a Dumble inspired amp. Which Dumble tone do you want?

I have a RWB, which has more bass, but is less articulate than the 12-65. (Which I'm currently using. Robben Ford uses these too)

EV may be a better choice for Larry Carlton tones. (imo) I prefer a bit of give in the speaker, so I'm using the 12-65, and find it to be a good all around fit.

The RWB is nice too. Less expensive than either of the others, and tonally falls somewhere in between. I see it as an affordable compromise.

Of course these amps are more versatile than a couple of signature tones might indicate, so lots of people ride the speaker merry-go-round, and some use different speaker cabs for different situations.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The Tonespotter has more upper mids/highs than a G12-65. I use one in my V32 and like it. However it also only comes in 8 ohms which is limiting for me. The G12-65 seems dark compared to it. Actually the G12-65 is too dark for me to use by itself. I do like it paired with a G12H-30 though. Bob

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've had a TR12-65 (RW&B supposedly), Tonespotter and G12-65. I agree, the G12-65 sounds much better than any of the Eminence varieties.
    The G12-65 is a warm speaker (compared to say a G12H30), but I wouldn't really call it dark, JMHO.

11. RSK

RSK Member

Appreciate the comments and suggestions. Initially I read that the ODS 30 head came with only 4 or 8 ohm taps, but Fuchs Tech Support emailed and said new models also have a 16 Oohm tap. I have other combos to use whose cabinets contain 2, 8ohm Heritage 30's wired series for 16ohms, and a AC30CC1 with a 16ohm Gold. The new choice is for a separate cab for the Fuchs and cost is not the issue. I am looking for overall sound that is warm and articulate. I also have an 8ohm EVL in a Boogie Mark IIB that rips your head off in that particular amp.
    Thanks, Rudi