What equipment do I need to Post Mic'd amp clips on the Web

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by redplexi, Mar 6, 2006.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

What do I need to Post Mic'd amp sounds on the Web.

Also once I have the Equipment How do I do it.

Thank You.

Here are some things that I already Have.
    Mac G4 Lap Top
    Tascam 424 MKII
    Shure SM57 Mic
    A Boat Load of Guitars and Amps.

2. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I am assuming your going to record with your computer. A sound card of some sort, (I think the new Macs have them built in). An audio recording software.ie. Garage Band, Logic, Digital Performer, Cubase to name some.

Once you record them then convert in your program to MP3 files. Finally, you need some sort of host server. Many suggestions have been put up here at GP. Just do a search.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
    duffy

3. redplexi

redplexi Member

My Mac G4 Has Garage Band, But I can't Mic an Amp. I can only use the Amps that are Built in the Software.

4. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

You will need a pre-audio converter interface to get the signal into your computer. There are quite a few low cost options.
    Alesis has the IO2 for $199, Tapco Link USB-$149, Line6 has the TonePort for $199. With this particular one, you get a bunch of software, amp modeling ala Pod type stuff, and also a name Pre-amp modeling for vocs ect. Mackie Spike-$249, Edirol UA25-$239. Those are just an example as I am looking at my latest Sweetwater catalog.

Feel free to ask my help on stuff.

Peace,
    duffy

5. redplexi

redplexi Member

Thanks. Basically I want do Take a SM57 into my Mac and convert that into a MP3. So I need a Converter, Cables and Software? And then I should be ready to Mic my Amp and be able to record right on my Mac.

6. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Actually, you will first record into Garage Band or whatever program you choose. That will be some sort of Wav file. Then you convert that to MP3 for downloading.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Red...

You need a way to preamplify your microphone. Most recording interface boxes ("soundcard" is really a windows term, which started in the days of PCI cards, typically with a breakout wire with input connectors and output connectors, usually pretty cheap bad sounding stuff; it later came to be referred to any kind of audio interface in the windows world) have preamps for your mic, which uses a much lower output than a line level signal.

There are lots of inexpensive USB 2 and Firewire interfaces you'd use with a Mac) that have a mic preamp built in.

Most G4 laptops have an audio line in port, however (a few don't). If yours has a line in port, you don't need a converter box. You could simply attach a line output from a mic preamp or mixer and capture audio from the port itself. If you know someone with a mixer or mic preamp, you're in business. Borrow it, hook a mic up to the mic input on the mixer or preamp, and adjust levels, and you're good to go.

Or you could buy an inexpensive box like the M-audio boxes, and attach it via firewire or usb 2.

Most audio programs will allow you to convert a track to mp3.

8. redplexi

redplexi Member

Can I use my Tascam? Then go from there into the Mac. If that is the Case, all I need is some decent Software.

9. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I overlooked the list of equipment that you listed. You can definatly use the mixer on your little Tascam and output it to the line in on your computer. It probably is an 1/8th in jack for the input, so you will need to get a RCA(out of your Tascam) to 1/8th in. cord. Watch your levels, if it's too hot, those computer inputs will distort quickly.

Good luck.
    duffy

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>all I need is some decent Software<<

You can even use indecent software, but not around the wife and kids. ;)

11. redplexi

redplexi Member

How do I convert into an MP3

12. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

When I get a chance I will look at a copy of Garage Band to see the layout.
    In the meantime, there should be something in one of the pull down menu's ,probably "file", that has something pertaining to soundfile conversion.

Later,
    duffy