• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What ever happened to all those '80 Les Paul's with Floyds and Kahlers?

MrMo

It seemed so common back in the '80's to see Les Paul's modified with Floyd Rose and Kahler trems. I very rarely see any now. Where did they all go?

jp1977

Many had conversions done back to traditional config, funny how they are back in style again. Just a few yrs back u couldn't give them away.

DRS

There was a black Custom with a factory Kahler for sale here about a year ago for $3000. Nice axe.

s2y

I once saw one locally that was in great shape and had a nice flame top. Someone bought it and converted it back.

I see a few of them now and then, and I think that most of the folks who like that particular arrangement on their Les Paul tend not to sell them, but keep them. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for them to be bad guitars once they are properly set up, and since preferences come and go with changes styles, people will hate them again a few years, and love them again in 5 years past that...................The REAL Rocker.

RussB

low rent hobbyist
I have a buddy who sold his white custom with a factory Kahler about 5 years ago. It had turned a nice buttery color, beautiful guitar for sure! I wish I was the one bought it :(

This guitar looks similar...

b2sc

Yeah, I've actually been looking for one and they're not too common. And then you have to consider how well the mod was done. The Axcess is cool(?) but it's not manly thick.

Love me my Les Pauls, love me some FR... Now to find one w/both of those combined.

Guitarworks

What ever happened to all those '80 Les Paul's with Floyds and Kahlers?

Some of them came original with the Kahler option and are still around. A lot of guys who installed a Kahler after the fact did everything they could to put the STP/TOM back on and erase all evidence of the change when they wanted to sell it, because they found out people didn't want the Kahler and it was worth more with the original stock hardware.

Hopefully something like this:

I have performed more than a few "cavity fills" for remorseful converts through the years. They're never the same.

JSeth

I know you all will think I'm a crazy, irresponsible idiot...

But I had my '74 ES-345 routed for a Kahler in the early 80's... the damn thing WOULD NOT hold tune, despite new tuning machines, nut, post tailpiece, brass nut and bridge/saddle, etc. etc. etc....

So the Kahler was a "last ditch" effort... and what do you know? IT WORKED! I still have that guitar, still love it... besides the Kahler, I've pretty much "Frankensteined" the thing in an effort to have it produce ALL the guitar tones I wanted from one guitar...

Maybe a lot of the people who had that mod done, way back when, actually were pleased with the result and kept the guitars? Even though I have been tempted to sell my 345, from time to time - I don't play much electric guitar thesedays, not for quite a while - I know that, unless I could actually GET THE GUITAR INTO SOME ONE'S HANDS, I wouldn't hardly be able to give it away... and it's one of the best playing and sounding electric guitars I've ever had the fortune to make music on...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom