What ever happened to....TAD

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Larry Esposito, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Larry Esposito

Larry Esposito Supporting Member

Eight Way Santa is such a good album. One of the best of the grunge era.

Why did this band not make it bigger?..why did they split? Only 3 albums?

I really dig Inhaler too, haven't warmed up to God's Balls yet.

I think Tad Doyle wrote great lyrics, had some cool hooks and melody. The drummer rocked. Seems they made a couple killer albums and disappeared.

Anyone else a fan...have any info on the ban?

2. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I dug them quite a bit way back. Brutal live for sure. I had the good fortune of opening for them once in the early 90's. I think they struggled with getting sued a lot for copyright infringing cover art and despite helping to invent grunge, got passed by either more punk-influenced stuff like Nirvana (they're old school metal heads) or pretty grunge like Pearl Jam.

Not sure why they split, but Tad Doyle's next band was also kick-ass: Hog Molly.

Another band you'd like in the Tad flavor and era is Cherubs. Equally brutal!

There's a documentary about them called "Busted Circuits and Ringing Ears":

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Classic! They were pretty heavy for the tenor of the times. They turned a lot of kids in my neighborhood on to dropped-D tuning.

4. ianrodia

ianrodia Member

Tad is playing in a great band called 'Brothers of the Sonic Cloth' now. I saw them live a few months ago. Not sure they have a record yet, but the songs they played were awesome. Look for it when it comes out.

5. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Wow, I haven't even thought about Tad in years. I played the heck out of Inhaler back in the day... need to dust that one off and see how it has held up!

6. tnvol

tnvol Supporting Member

I love Tad. In 1991 or so a roomate gave me a cassette tape that had nothing but GODS BALLS written on the outside with a marker. I wore it out for ages before I even knew who it was. Killer band.

7. BKL71

BKL71 Member

I just watched the documentary and I really enjoyed it! Thanks digiTED for posting it!

8. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Always (actually still do) liked TAD. Great band! Thanks for posting that doc digiTED. I'll have to watch it this weekend.

9. Larry Esposito

Thanks for the info. You gave me more than I found with google...and the video to boot. I'm excited to watch that when I get home from work.

Hog Molly - Kung Fu album review on Rate Your Music said the music was a lot different...true?

I will check out Cherubs!

10. Larry Esposito

Dust that baby off...and if you have it, check out 8 way Santa. Music hold up very well. In retrospect, TAD is right up there with the big grunge acts (Nirvana,Soundgarden,Pearl Jam). Too bad they are a forgotten footnote now and never hit it big.

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Although never a commercial success, Tad (the band and the man) will always occupy a special place in the heart of those of us with an affection for the broader Seattle scene from the late 80s and early 90s.

12. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Truth

13. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

I couldn't find my old Inhaler CD, but both Inhaler and 8 Way Santa are both on Spotify. :aok I listened to both of them this morning... way better than a cup of coffee to get you going! Great stuff!

:dude

14. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

The Stumbling Man video on one of the Sub Pop VHS collections was really cool. Unlike most "grunge" dudes, Tad could actually have been a lumberjack.

15. CAC

CAC Member

Not sure, but I saw TAD open for Mudhoney about 95 or 96 and it was absolutely an amazing show!!!

16. rumors of surf

rumors of surf Supporting Member

I seen him open for Slash(snakepit) at hammerjacks in Baltimore in the 90's.