1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What ever happened to the zendrive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sweethomela8, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sweethomela8

sweethomela8 Member

I don't see the zendrive on many people's pedalboards nowadays, seems like that pedal isn't as popular as it was 5 years ago...however I'm still loving that pedal with my tele or strat. I guess I'm wondering what everyone still thinks of it and who still uses it and why, and who does not use it anymore and why?

2. terrapin

terrapin Member

Recently sold my Zen 1 and got a Zen Drive 2. IMO it is the BEST. Put a NOS 12AU7 in it and it is BOMB!!!!

3. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

The Zendrive is soooooooooo 2010.

4. sweethomela8

sweethomela8 Member

terrapin, have you tried using that same tube in something like a real tube driver pedal? curious if it would sound better than the zendrive or the same. I'm still in love with my ts-9 and zendrive...guess im old fashioned? :hiP

however i am also using those with the el capistan and wet reverb stereo

5. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Pedals on TGP are like hit pop songs - people think they sound amazing and listen to them ad nauseam...until a new one is released.

6. terrapin

terrapin Member

NOT the case with the Zen Drive!!!

7. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

I think the Robben Ford crowd graduated to amps.

8. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I don't use my zen drive with my amps (red plates) but I definitely bring it along to jams or other situations where i don't have my amp and I don't know what amps are available.

9. Fitzer

Fitzer Member

Not cool anymore. This thread will pop up for the Strymon Timeline in a few years.

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

11. pattste

pattste Member

I've had mine on my pedalboard for a couple of years. I think it is pretty much a one-trick pony. Fortunately, the trick is "greatest lead guitar OD on the market" as far as I'm concerned.

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:agree

13. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

It does seem to have kinda dropped out a little bit, I've never had the pleasure of owning one or even trying one for that matter. I'd like to some day.

14. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

I use mine for exclusively for leads as well. Great pedal, likes volume.

15. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

DITTO!

16. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

It's a great pedal. I love what it does to my tone. I use it for leads and melody lines. It's a pretty magical little pedal. I took it off my board for awhile, because I have too many pedals. It just went back on, and I can't believe I took it off on the first place.

I think it's a classic.

Maybe they aren't as talked about, because they are easier to get. Not so much 'impossible to get' mojo.

17. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

good thing i dont care about what the pedal de jour is. i just found what worked for me and my playing and stopped messing around with everything else.

been 4 glorious years with my zendrive. love (LOVE) it and dont really care about other drives at all. i do also own a KOT which is equally as good (and of course different) but its not on my board. i have it in case i go out and dont bring my board and it lives in my gigbag. i usually get "more" from my zen by using my EP booster..

18. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Got the Zen 2. I love it for rhythm as much as lead. I have had alot of drives over the last year or so, good ones that cost alot. It's a TGP thing. :nuts Anyway, the Zen is my favorite. At band practice I'll tap dance through 4 different OD's during a song and usually end up on the Zendrive.

19. brain21

brain21 Member

Everyone ditched theirs for the Alphadrives! :hide2

j/k

20. SteveV60

SteveV60 Member

Lol! Anyone alpha around here? I love the two rock and ethos comparison video I saw once.