What Exactly is a Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ken, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I know I lead a sheltered life and I have never played one that I'm aware of :crazy
    Is it a Distortion, a Fuzz, or its own thing?

I like some of the MO'D clips I have heard, but I'm looking around for a few rat type clips with actual backing tracks to see if its worth giving a Rat clone a try.

2. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

Hello there. A Rat is sort of a cross between a distortion and a fuzz (somewhat that is). Some people refer to it as a fuzzy-distortion. I can say that is has some of the breakup characteristics of a fuzz but still has the "zing" and balls of a good distortion. Overall, I give Rats an A+ rating. My favorite so far is a Keeley modded Rat.

3. Ken

Ken Member

Thanks!

Could anyone tell me if the Lovepedal 200lb is a pure fuzz or is it more of a Rat cone?

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I don't hear much fuzz in a rat at all to be hoenst...just a distortion pedal...maybe it has a little bit of a fuzzy overtone but it's far from a fuzz pedal to my ears...

5. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

Yes, I have a 200lbs of tone pedal as well. I also have several Rats (including Turbo rats). The lovepedal is nothing at all like a rat when it comes to the overall end-product tone. However, I can say that it has a huge, massive wall of fuzz tone. I have used it with only humbucking guitars so far (well including a Burns Brian May in the HB position too). The lovepedal is just a great and massive sounding silicon fuzz face style tone and not like the rat except for the "big" characteristic. They are both very prominent and "big" sounding but the Rat is more of a traditional distortion when compared to the lovepedal. If you are into fuzz faces, try the lovepedal. If you like the idea of have a fat sounding distortion (think big muff with more bass and mids) crossed with some fuzzy characteristics, then try a rat or rat clone.

6. Ken

Ken Member

Thanks guys...Now one more question...

Where can I find some live clips of a Rat or clones in action, with a band or backing track?

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have a BYOC MM (Rat Clone). I put the Turbo/Vintage Mod on it... no big difference really. It is an overdrive that compresses... It is not fuzz. Using it through my JMP clean gives a pure/smooth vintage tone. When I use it with my Dr. Z it makes it sound like a Marshall cranked.

When I put it on the overdrive setting it gets very 'furry' and I'm sure would be suitable for gain levels up to Mesa/Bogner abilities.

Its not a Jack of all trades but its close.

8. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

I am pleased to hear the differing opinions on the perceived tone of Rats. To me, it speaks of it's versatility, which is one of the reasons I like them so much. :)

9. bluntage

bluntage Member

I worked in a music retail store in the late 80's and early 90's... we couldn't give those things away and I thought they sounded pretty bad. I find all the hoopla surrounding them now strange. Maybe I missed something...

10. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

The Rat strikes me as a slightly Marshally sounding distortion pedal, reminescent of a JCM 800. It'll do mild overdrive, but it shines as a distortion pedal.

I foolishly sold my first Rat2, and just recently replaced it with a Keeley modded one. Love the way Robert modded it, but the stock setting with the upgraded components also sounds good.

11. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

Lots of mids, think Jeff Beck.

12. Rock72

Rock72 Member

You should also check out Lovekraft Chupacabra. It uses the LM308 chip, and with its three-way switch, is a versatile pedal.

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

lots of rat on coldplay's stuff if i remember correctly. . .

14. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

It's like a big, fat mouse.

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I believe the confusion about it being a distortion or a fuzz comes from early advertising info when it was first marketed sometime in the 70s that described it as a fuzz - maybe "distortion" wasn't a marketable term at the time and people knew what a fuzz was. Either way when I think of Rats I think of Metallica's 1983 Kill 'em All rhythm sound - not really a fuzz tone - something tighter and more focused.

17. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Never liked RATs..

Way too much mids, too hairy.. Not defined enough.

18. Zero Point

Zero Point Member