What exactly is the Bad Cat Bobcat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheoDog, May 10, 2016.

1. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

In one of the few online videos discussing it, an NAMM a few years back, John describes it as based on his favorite 1957 single ended amp design.
    Sports a single 6v6. Is it a "clean champ" with a lead boost in a full sized combo?

I gig at low volume due to IEMs and need a nice clean Fender-y tone as well. Local shop has a 5r. I have tested out a little. I am pretty mesmerized by the combo with light logo and fear that is what is initiating GAS in this scenario. I'm gigging a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb now, but am looking for an excuse to employ my H9 full time. But that isn't necessary since my amp has reverb and tremolo duties covered and MLjr is a mainstay delay.

Some one talk me out of a Bobcat 5r.

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

This is The Gear Page Theo! BUY IT

3. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Scant info and demos on that amp, especially the new models.

4. TheoDog

This would be a great thread for @jbt7764 to comment in.

Slevin likes this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Member

6. Slevin

Slevin Member

Not speaking for John but I know they are insanely busy trying to get the player series released so a hasty response may not happen but OP you can honestly just call his cell phone and he will talk to you for hours about it. If you like the way it sounds and it works for you size wise, buy it. You get a lifetime warranty and the best customer service in the biz to go along with a great sounding amp

7. TheoDog

Does that mean you have some first hand experience with the Bobcat 5, @Slevin_is_lucky ?

I am not the type of person to chat on the phone for periods of time, and I certainly value a business owner's time during a busy roll out.

8. wyatt

wyatt Member

'57 and 6SL7, I would guess it's Valco derived (Fender and Gibson used the 6SJ7 pentode), but there are so many small "student" amps from that era...plus Bad Cats artistic license... it's hard to narrow anything down.

9. Slevin

Slevin Member

I haven't but I own a cub III 30 and it's unbelievable. Not the same amps but since you have a chance to play it in person and have played it in person, if you like what you hear, there's nothing from a quality standpoint or customer service standpoint to worry about. And with those over sized trannys you're going to get way more output than a traditional 5w amp. It is definitely a little weird they don't have super good quality demos on any of their amps though

10. TheoDog

Thanks Slev. Playing and liking in a shop with a guitar off the wall is different than a gig/practice run through.

Being that this platform is so different from BadCat's primary wheelhouse, I just want some more to go on, even if it is subjective.

11. voxylady

voxylady Member

Is this the bobcat with the built in unleash to push it to 100 watts?

12. TheoDog

I'm just looking at the Bobcat 5r. I always play mic'ed through IEMs so being loud enough is not an issue.