What exactly is this a sign of?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 335man, Oct 21, 2008.

1. 335man

335man Member

Hi,

When I'm playing my guitar, and when I'm not touching any metal on it at all, I have a (what I suppose is) 60 cycle buzz happening. As soon as I touch the metal part on my guitar cable right at the jack, the buzz goes away.

Is this what they call RFI or EMI? What do I do about this? Is it my guitar cable? I have a spectraflex cable that I use with an epiphone sheraton with humbuckers.

Thanks.

2. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

I believe it's some sort of grounding issue. My strat and flying V both do this, but my LP and Firebird don't, so it's not a single coil-specific problem. I wired both the V and the strat, so I'm thinking that there could be something wrong on that front.

3. 335man

335man Member

You mean a grounding issue in the guitar?

4. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

By touching a metal part on the guitar you are acting as the ground. When that hapnens it is a sign that your guitar is grounded propertly.

5. 335man

335man Member

Okay, that makes sense. Do you think a better shielded cable would help then? I don't have a very expensive one right now, I think I only spent $25 or so on it.

6. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

it might, but also the quality of your power source and a well grounded outlet will help. Of course dimmer switches, neon lights, computer monitors and the like all contribute greatly to single coil hum in addition to the grounding issues.

7. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

ground wire from controls not connected to bridge or tailpiece will do this.

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Does not touching any metal at all include the strings or not?

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Could be a grounding problem, on strats the 2 and 4 positions are noiseless, humbuckers don't have noise so if your hearing this with humbuckers something else is a problem.

I had this problem on my strat when the middle pup went bad, the tech found it by finding the pole piece had shorted to ground with a ohm meter, replaced the pup and all is well. I noticed that the problem occurred when playing 2 3 and 4 positions, no problem on neck or bridge only when the middle pup went bad.

10. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Sounds pretty normal to me.

11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

its the power source...if I get this phenomenom, I switch outlets and it goes away