What Expensive Guitar Turned Out to Be a Dog

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by radiolab, Sep 8, 2019.

1. radiolab

radiolab Member

Just like the title says. What’s the most you dropped on a guitar, what was it, how bad was it, and how much did you lose on it?

2. radiolab

radiolab Member

Mine with a 67 sg junior. One p90. Paid about 2k. Hated it the moment I plugged it in. Bought it online. Sold it for 1400.

Attached Files:

uab9253 likes this.
  3. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

I bought a 61 Reissue SG used. Just couldn't bond with it even though I really wanted to love it. It had a lot of fret buzz and I replaced the bridge, had a luthier work on the frets and neck....couldn't get it right. Ended up selling it for a little more than I paid for it, but I had put some money into it, so I guess it was a wash mostly.

drri and fretless like this.
  4. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

I don't want to speak for anyone else but I'm expecting to see something that rhymes with Gecko Shark.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Not too much, bit I think I paid almost a grand for a Taylor SB1 solid body, and it was about the most dull, lifeless guitar I have ever owned. I disliked it from the first 5 minutes, forced myself to spend some time with it and get used to its sound and voicing, and gave up quick. I recall some weird issues with the bridge, too. It was a really beautiful thing, though! I had the transparent white finish and it was gorgeous.

6. derekd

derekd Member

I didn't buy it but a used archtop by a luthier with an excellent reputation, which is well-deserved imo, showed up at one of my favorite guitar stores and one of the owners let me know it was there.

I couldn't wait to check it out. The thing was tonally dead. I even asked to put new strings on it in case that was the issue. It wasn't. Needless to say, I passed on that particular example. I wanna say it was in the $4k range about 10 years ago.

7. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I can honestly say that I've never had a high-end dog. Of all the guitars I've been blessed to own over the years (including several GLP Customs) I only had one that was persnikety to setup.

8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Have had 6 custom builds done, all by different builders and haven't had a dog yet.

10. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Gibsons and Epiphones.... always hit and miss, regardless of how much you spend

11. ED_P

ED_P Silver Supporting Member

Several Carvins. Beautifully made. But too bright.

I have an American Professional Jazzmaster I just haven't bonded with after a year. Nothing wrong with it, just not for me.

bojocatkite, joesatch and Madguitrst like this.
  12. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

13. ieso

ieso Member

14. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I'm seeing a theme here.... :oops:

bullet6759 likes this.
  15. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

At one point I ended up with a 335 that had something funny going on with it. I don't know for sure what was going on, but I *suspect* that the fretboard was unevenly planed. It's a long story, but I took it to a tech and told them what was going on. They serviced the nut, and it actually played really well! (To my tastes, anyway.)
    I really resented that guitar though, and sold it immediately. I disclosed the fact that it was funky when I got it and the nut work seemed to address the issue, so the next guy wasn't going in blind. He was thrilled with it, and I only took a loss of about $300-$500, at least from what I wanted to clear, and counting the cash I laid down to straighten it out.

So not a horror story. But a good reminder to really, *really* check things out before you seal a deal. And don't trust anyone from NJ!

fretless, Vaibhav Joshi and Gig Young like this.
  16. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Lt Dak and nowhere like this.
  17. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

All the PRSs I've owned I've sold. YMMV.

18. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

It took me 3 different CE22s before I found a keeper

Had Soapbar and McCarty models that were pretty great at the 1st try though

19. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Why is this? CE-22s are uncommon enough that if I get one, it will be blindly purchased online. What problems did you have?

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  20. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Ive never owned an expensive dog either. Sure, some I havent bonded, or were not my thing, but nothing I can call a dog. Of course: IMO those "expensive" guitars were expensive because theyre worth it. Sure, there are some brands that charge the price but dont give the quality... usually based on name and legacy.

David Garner likes this.