What famous recordings have cranked blackface fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by coltranemi2012, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

Check out the cover of Cosmo's Factory. John is playing into what looks (and sounds) like a SF Deluxe. His brother is playing the tuck 'n roll Kustom.

[​IMG]

Bob

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Yeah!

Another cool connection... Back in 1983, when I started playing electric guitar, I purchased my first electric from Tom Fogerty's son (also Tom) - from Eddie's Music on Telegraph Ave. Tom Jr. looked quite a bit like his dad. The guitar was a mid-'70s Ibanez Studio guitar that had belonged to John Fogerty. John had had it fit out with an on-board active boost circuit. I wish I'd known at that time what a treat it was to make that connection. And I wish I'd had the background knowledge to ask more about amps and whatnot his dad and uncle had been using.

But I digress... back to the cranked BF Fenders!

- T

yakyak and ggwwbb like this.
  3. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

The OP specifically asked for Fender Blackface "overdriven" tones and then came back to clarify he was looking for "actually cranked. Like overdriven. No pedals." I took this to mean power amp crunch.

But almost all of the suggestions have been for Silverface, Tweed, or Brownface amps or blues licks more on the verge of breakup than what I'd consider cranked overdriven tones. There have been very few examples of BF amps played past the point of breakup (excluding the speculation about which amps were used in the studio when the actual amp is under debate). This is surprising to me because I would have thought that cranked BF tones would have been much more ubiquitous on classic recordings.

Below, I'll include the only example I can think of with a few caveats- The BF Bassman isn't the typical BF amp and is a bit different from the more common Deluxe Reverb or Twin in its breakup characteristics; Ness' Bassman is somewhat modified to allow it to crunch earlier on the volume dial; he uses a pedal sometimes, but I think only on solos; and he plays through a cab with Greenbacks which are a big part of the sound:

Below you'll find two demos of cranked BF amps (not classic recordings unfortunately), the first a Bassman and the second a Pro Reverb:

4. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

Nice strat & cranked BFSR sound

coltranemi2012 likes this.
  5. thecasterkid

thecasterkid Member

Which one??

6. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

these two actually sound pretty nice, guess you can shape this base crunch into lots of cool tones, with minimal tweaks.
    The Scumback M75s might be a big part of it too, aren't they Greenback types ?

thanks for posting,
    Rhino

Rumble5 likes this.
  7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Yes. The M75 is my take on the old G12M 60's speakers with a bit more lower mids, and creamier high end.

woof* and ProfRhino like this.
  8. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Yes, Super Reverb but also Twin -on 2112- all over the place.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

thank you !
    if I didn't have a good stash of old Pulsonic era Greenbacks already, yours would be at the top of my list.
    Rhino

10. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

I'm having bad flashbacks.

11. loudboy

loudboy Member

Tom and Mike Campbell used BF Princetons on most stuff cut from Wildflowers, on. Bassmans and Deluxes, too.

[​IMG]

Mudcrutch Live used a pile of BF Fenders, mainly:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  12. Serenity

Serenity Member

Early Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Peter Hayes was using two Twins (and three tubescreamers).

TEPR and bullet6759 like this.
  13. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Buffalo Springfield? I know there are fuzz boxes involved.

burns likes this.
  14. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

15. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Thought Felder was tweed.

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Clapton was using the Fenders with Delaney and Bonnie in '69 in Europe (and he sounded pretty thin) but he used Sunn Coliseums with Marshall cabs for US Dominos tour and probably that Fillmore recording too. Here he is in the same month (October) playing in Virginia with the Dominos in 1970. There are other pics from the tour with the same rig:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/sunn-coliseum-lead.1651034/#post-21076645

17. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I was going by photos included with the album and CD releases and some interviews saying that he was going for the Champ sound at stage volumes. In the Johnny Cash Show appearance from that era, Clapton is playing through a dual channel SF Fender combo, albeit at low volume.

I have no doubt he used other rigs on that tour. I hear cranked BF/SF Fender on the Fillmore album -- and I doubt there's a huge tonal difference between BF and SF of that period when cranked live. There are many reports about the different guitars he used during the tour that yielded "EC Was Here", but he was definitely using the black Strat rather than the Explorer when I saw him with Santana opening in Niagara Falls.

18. strike3

strike3 Member

If your not familiar with this cats playing, give Paris a quick listen. It’s a tone and lick fest

tenchijin2 likes this.
  19. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

The reason I asked is because there blackface overdrive pedals and I'm kind of like ...well how many overdriven bf sounds were actually used? So then I got curious about and the sound of it

20. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Yes John use a Fender Deluxe on Up Around The Bend. A Fender Concert on I Heard It Through The Grapevine and Fender Silverface Vibrolux along with Kustom.

[​IMG]