What Fender is Townsend using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Jan 18, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Just watched a special on HDTV here. The Isle of Wight Who special. Had a few cool bands. The Delay, *something*...Merchants, Snow Patrol.

Cool amps. Marshall 4-holer's. AC-30's. Orange. Think I saw some Matchless.

Pete Townsend had a Fenders. Looked like 4x10's with a extension cab...couldn't get the model (damn I need TIVO.) Either way, he was NAILING the early sound. Had a Strat...looked like with some EMG active coils there...a pretty hot sounding guitar.

Anyone know what Fender's these are?

2. woude

woude Member

fender custom shop vibro king 3x10" with 2x12" extension cabinets.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Isle of Wight? Matchless? EMG's?

I don't think so...lol.

4. davebc

davebc Member

And let's not forget the fun part, 60 watts into 3-10's!
    I've had about 3 or 4 VK's. Just like old Marshalls, they all sound different.
    The one I have now IS the keeper, KILLER amps with Gibsons, and of coarse Fenders. The break up, twang, sizzle, and cream is pure old school in the best sense of the word.

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

I'm pretty sure he's talking about a recent concert that also happened to be at the Isle of Wight, not the classic Isle of Wight concert we all know and love.

6. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

yup, hes used vibro kings for years

7. Roe

Roe Member

he uses JBLs

8. evhtone

evhtone Member

Pete is my favorite rock guitarist ever. I'm not sure which Isle of Wight show the poster is referring to? A new one?

9. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I wouldn't count on Pete's amps being stock VibroKings. Bruce Zinky (who did lots of design for Fender years back), concocted those amps and they are at minimum tweaked to Petes liking, and the differences could go further. The old saying "tone is in the hands", only partially applies to Townshend. For him you have to expand it to "tone is in the hands and blood". Pete is also one of my favorites. What a writer!

10. John C

John C Supporting Member

Kind of off the amp topic, but Pete has also been using Fender Eric Clapton Signature guitars for a while; it appears he likes the original versions (1988-2000) with the Lace Sensors (since Fender's original Lace Sensors don't have exposed polepieces, they do look like EMGs). Most of his also have the Fishman Powerbridge piezo trem, and have an extra volume knob for the Powerbridge located behind the trem.

11. Antero

Antero Member

When I hear more recent Townsend performances, I don't like his tone as much as in the old days. I'm thinking it's the strat vs. P-90 factor. It just doesn't fill up as much space...

12. proreverb68

proreverb68 Member

I do know that his early amp was a Fender Pro-amp that he chopped into a head and played through some cab. Check out his site for more info.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

The amps are most definitly VibroKings 3-10's and the 2-12 extention. One stack and one spare stack. Clapton strats with Lace pickups.
    I saw this concert and listened on my not state of the art, but over 10 grand sound system, and always come to the same conclusion. I have no idea why people like Pino Pallidino. I think he sounds like arse. The bass riff in My Generation was mudd, and behind the beat. The guy sucks. Or at least his tone sucks. That band is nothing without the Ox.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Yes. It was a new 'Isle of Wight' concert. If you're not familiar with the bands that I mentioned, then don't worry about it.

But yes, all those amps were in this concert.

Pete had a silly good tone. Was sort of sad to see the only 2 remaining members.
    EP

15. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

are u shure he uses a clapton strat?? my friend has a clapton and it has the 6 screw trem bridge,last time i saw pete play he had the fender w/ the 2 pivit point trem/bridge,looks very similar

16. fakeox

fakeox Member

Zekmoe, Pino has been a hot patootie topic on the WHO chatboards since day 1. Personally, I'm with You.

17. Roe

Roe Member

and a blonde bassman!

18. John C

John C Supporting Member

It's a Clapton with the regular trem bridge swapped out to a Fishman Powerbridge trem with piezo saddles for a Parker Fly-style "accoustic" tone.

The Fishman bridge is a 2-post trem with anodized saddles; from the distance it looks like an American Standard bridge. Here is a link to Fishman's page:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=62