1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Fender would you pick if .....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bad Back, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Good morning from the left coast,

I’m just familiarizing myself with the many fender sounds.

For those with Fender experience:

Pplease assume that all models would be played thru the same separate 2x12 cabinet (I would covert all to a head). Given that, what model do you most prefer the stock Fender sound from?

TIA

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wait, there isn't a stock Fender sound! There's at least 4 or 5 distinct flavors:
    1. Tweed-complex mids, sweet distortion, poor clean overhead
    2. Brown-harmonic tremelo with slightly thinned mids
    3. BF-thin mids, sparkly top end, excellent clean, good overdrive
    4. Rivera Era-singing sustain, sorta high gain with cascading preamps.

Mix in the different tremelos, the reverb flavors, 6L6s vs 6V6s and there's a lot to try. My favorite right now is the second Brown/blond 40w series (Bandmaster, Pro, Super with 6 preamp tubes).

3. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

Which 'stock' Fender sound would you like? I'd guess something from the blackface era (which can easily be replicated with a silverface). How much power do you want/need? 6V6 or 6L6?

4. Neumatics

Neumatics Guest

Pretty thorough report there from drbob. Personally i've always preferred Rivera-era amps, right now i'm playing through a Concert, but I must say that the Twin Reverb II's i've owned/played have all been slightly more versatile than this concert. The Twin II shocked me at how functional the tone knobs were. Even slight adjustments would yeild a signifigant tone change. The concert has all of the same attitude as the other II series amps, and is extremely versatile in it's own right, however. The clean channel is terrific on the concert. It's much warmer and sweeter to my ear than any silverface i've owned, but possibly not as large and round...if that makes any sense. The gain channel is, in my opinion, by far the best ever put onto a fender amp. Some people complain about it, but I can't figure out why. It's a very unique and versatile distortion channel with a very signature flavor.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

'Most good guitarists would agree' that the Blues Deluxe is the finest Fender.

:p

6. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello drbob 1.

That was a poor choice of words on my part. I meant what sounds from a Fender with no mods due you prefer, whatever that model happens to be. Then, I can due some homework and find out a bit about them and have a listen.

Thank you for the four descriptions.

Hello lannyhal,

I just tried a Princeton Reverb and really enjoyed it. But, there are other Fender models and I was interested in what other models knowledgeable folks liked the best. Tubes, watts etc isn’t important. If it’s a small wattage amp, then I’ll push it on stage with my little power head. If it’s larger, then it’ll do its own pushing. I’m just curious to know if a majority of folks with Fender knowledge seem to prefer the sound of a certain model, or a few select models.

Hello Newmautics,

Thank you for that information.

7. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I find my favorite Fender amps are 4x10 combos pre-CBS, my favorite being the brown era Concerts.

8. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have owned MANY Fender amps from the tweeds, brownface, blackface and silverface. For me, the single Fender amp that takes me to that special classic Fender place is the Pro Reverb. I currently have two.

9. scottiejohnson

scottiejohnson Member

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  10. MVrider

MVrider Member

If you're not familiar with Fenders, trying to describe what they sound like is kind of like trying to explaint the difference between Porcinis and Portobellos to someone who's never tasted a mushroom.

I've played dozens (hundreds?) of vintage Fenders and I've owned plenty from TV fronts to blackface amps. For ME, only a couple were REALLY worth keeping

Overviews can be helpful, but take the generalizations with a box of salt. For example, a single-ended tweed Champ sounds nothing like a tweed Twin. And an early (cathode-biased) tweed Bassman with a single 15 sounds so different from a late fixed-bias tweed Bassman with four 10" speakers that they could have come from two different makers.

Same goes for a brownface Princeton and a brownface (blonde) Twin.

Granted, these are examples of the biggest differences and you won't find such drastic differences within all amps in a given Fender family, but sometimes even a small variation in circuitry (or speakers, or tubes, or...) can make the difference between keeper and "for sale."

Bottom line: you've really got to play some to figure out what's right for you.

11. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

You aren't by any chance the Scottie Johnson I met in Garth's studio about 10 yrs ago when Robben was laying down some tracks for Pat's CD?

jon

12. scottiejohnson

scottiejohnson Member

13. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Okeyyyyyy.

There's a Scotty Johnson, an accomplished guitarist, who was playing with Robben Ford in 1995 and they were laying down tracks in Garth Webber's studio (http://www.garthwebber.com/index.shtml) for Pat Ford's CD, Ford's and Friends. I was a 'friend', but not as a player. Just a friend of the Ford brothers and got to 'sit at the feet of the master' for the session.

Internet names......... sheesh......

In any case, welcome to TGP, Scottie!

jon

14. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Great amps- maybe the best tremolo circuit ever. Raises the question, though, of impedance matching for the original poster's scenario: an unmodded Fender designed to drive 4x10 at 2.7ohms isn't going to match up with a 2x12.

15. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Dual Professional

16. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

scottiejohnson:

Only fun intended..Just a corker about a recent thread!

17. scottiejohnson

scottiejohnson Member

18. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Try A Vibro King ( although I don't know about the 2 x 12 setup).

With a good overdrive pedal, it'll do just about anything-- extremely well.

19. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I second the vibro king nod, there wasn't one of the greats without one in the first ten years!!!!!!! (1993 -on)