1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

what file from Home Depot to file fret edges?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cap217, Feb 18, 2012.

1. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

What kind of file do I need and what grit?

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Until I got a proper file from Stew Mac, I used one out of a set of mini files... It came with two triangular files. I used one of the. I ground the 'edges' down so they'd be less likely to really get into the fretboard if my hand slipped.

3. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Are you doing a refret or just need to smooth them out a bit? For smoothing I use an old computer battery and some 400 grit sandpaper followed by 600. If they're really sprouted I'll start with 220

4. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Actually I think right next to where they make the Keys they have fret installers now.....................maybe not.

I think regular fret tools will be better than Home Depot.

5. lovellintn

lovellintn Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

How bad are the fret edges?

I'd try finger nail files first if it's not that bad.

Metal files will remove material pretty fast.

6. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

For a non pro, time does not matter. That means buy a few sizes of the mildest ones, even if pros use harsher to save time. This gives you more room for error.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

if you mean for dealing with just fret sprout, not shaping, I use a 6" mill file and it works fine ... but I had lessons yrs ago on that particular use from master luthier Bill Cumpiano - www.cumpiano.com

Jon