• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What five guitarists have influenced you the most?

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
- EVH
- Robben Ford
- Lenny Breau
- Jeff Beck
- Pat Martino

stanshall

Jerry Garcia
Willie Nelson
Grady Martin
Neil Young
Tom Verlaine
that Grady Martin slot could easily be filled by Bob Weir, James Burton, Robbie Krieger, but on reflection I have to add J. J. Cale ... I love Grady Martin's playing but I've listened to much much much more Cale so that's it

new list:

Jerry Garcia
Willie Nelson
J. J. Cale
Neil Young
Tom Verlaine

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
No particular order:

Jimmy Page
Ace Frehley
Michael Schenker
Eric Clapton
Warren Haynes

blong

Silver Supporting Member
Chuck Berry and Hendrix made me want to play.
Yngwie made me want to shred with feel and intensity and learn good technique and Schenker taught me melody.
SRV made me fall in love with blues, again.
EJ inspires me to learn the instrument and explore voicings.

Bob

Lachra

David Gilmour (I can hear it in playing from time to time)
John Petrucci (Rarely, but sometimes I can reach it)
Jeff Loomis (I hear Jeff in my playing a good bit)
James Hetfield (of course, played a lot of metallica in formative years)
Joe Duplantier (I have been noticing more of Joe in my heavy playing)

I have some others too that influence as well Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Phil Collin, Yngwie, Eddie & Randy etc. But you said top 5. (of these the only ones that I notice in my own playing would be Eddie Van Halen, and Mark Knopfler, but I am slowly trying to add more of the expression that Jeff Beck likes to do)

Oh I almost forgot about Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) yeah I sometimes hear a bit of that too.

Now for a couple that most of you probably haven't heard of.
Frank Klepacki (did music for the command & conquer/Red Alert games) I really like how he weaved guitar into electronic music back then. (I hear his influence in my almost half of my music that I make)
Also Matt Uelman (loved what he did with the Diablo soundtracks) I really like how he weaved guitar into very dark orchestrations. Listen to the song Tristram (from Diablo I&II) and prepare to be amazed if you have never heard this beautiful piece. (I sometimes hear a bit of his influence when I get to playing dark stuff)

Last edited:

Pitar

Couldn't say. What I do versus what I've heard done are not obviously linked. But, I drifted away from my influences in 76 and have sort of managed to find my own way.

johnnyqb

Silver Supporting Member
1. Pete Townshend
2. Alex Chilton
3. Jerry Garcia
4. Mark Knopfler
5. Eric Clapton

Not, those players that you like, admire or look up to. Who are those players who you can 'hear' in your own playing whether you like them or not...

My list:

1 - Pete Townshend
2 - BB King
3 - Ace Frehley
4 - Bo Diddley
5 - Robert Cray

Trending Topics