What flanger did...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 12guitdown, Mar 15, 2008.

1. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

...Alex Lifeson use on, "Spirit of Radio"?

Just for fun, I was trying to dial it in on a Deluxe Elec. Mist.. Close, but no cigar. I know Alex has used the DEM exstensivly on many of their songs and I can nail them with ease, no problem.

So now I'm thinking an ADA? Never played one so I don't really know.

Hmmmm....:rolleyes:

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

It sounds a lot more throaty than an electric mistress and definitely less metallic which makes me think it was either an ADA or more likely, tape flanging in the studio.

3. 89strat

89strat Member

I have to dig out the old magazine I had, but supposedly, he used the same chorus he used on Limelight (which he began using again in his live rig) and a phase 90. I don't recall a flanger in his description of Spirit. If it was a flanger it was set up to use as a chorus effect, but the swirly stuff I'm pretty sure was a phaser. It was a great article on him, I think in Guitar Player, maybe about two to three years ago where he talks about his equipment in many of his popular songs. He also talks about how his sounds and playing became heavily influenced by the police.

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've only known him to use electric M, Chorus---the Recto sonic sounds just like it!!! and a TC Electronic Chorus/flange.

5. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Hear me know believe me later ... the key to that tone is to run a flanger into a chorus. :)

The specific boxes don't matter so much, but neither a flanger or chorus on its own will get you there.

- DB