• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What flavour are Bad Cat amps??

neilcoates

Looking to upgrade from a Blues Junior (which i actually really like!!) to a keeper .
Bad cat CubII with reverb seems to get some rave reviews , but my dealer in the UK (only one of them)is too far away to easily audition.
The power rating is about right , it has a half power mode , but i dont know what flavour of tone it has. I normally like Fender cleans with a pedal to dirt things up. Does the CubII cover this ground in clean mode?? Does it sound more Voxy when cranked??

I've also auditioned a headstrong Lil King S , that was very good and around the same price , very traditional look and feel with an awesome clean sound. i just dont know how reliable these things are (the lil king in store had a defective reverb).

I must have reverb in the spec. The Headstrong also has a tremelo which i like .

Any opinions on the Black Cat ??

koss59

I've owned loads of amps over the years including some of the best vintage and boutiques, I'm currently stuck on the new Badcat Blackcats using a 15 combo and 30 head and cab for different gigs.
Best damn amps I've ever had, you can forget about your sound and just play.
I say go for the Blackcat over the Cub as it's essentially two channel and can be set one for dirty and one for clean so you hardly need any pedals.
I live in Harrogate North Yorkshire and play all round the country if you're nearby for a listen.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
Ive owned my Cub II NR for about a year and a half. I will NEVER sell it. Its the most amazing amp ive ever played. Its definitely not a Fender style amp but its also not brittle like a lot of voxy amps. Its very full sounding and has very nice chime to it. It takes pedals like a champ and the natural overdrive is so smooth and nice. I really could go on forever about this amp.

The Badcat Classic Deluxe is their take on the Blackface Deluxe sound.
2 6v6's.

I have one though mine is a little customized........it has a mid control and a half power switch.
Talk to John at Badcat and they will get you what you want.

shooter1371

I've owned pretty much all of their models and I've settled on the custom shop 1x12. I would recommend the black cat over the cub. The BC was more focused and articulate. It was full like a Marshall. I liked that there was no ear fatigue or icepick when cranked and they sit in the mix well. Stay away from the 2x12 versions unless you have roadies though. Good luck!

joeprs

I own and will never sell a Cub II.

I am intrigued with the Cub III which is previewing at NAMM. I would check out the demo of the Cub III.

Going from a Blues Junior, which is a nice amp, to a Cub is a GIANT leap!

neilcoates

I cant get enough info on the Cub II . Is it capable of some good cleans to be able to do Dire Strait type sounds (early albums), or is it more geared to a 'rock' sound??
There is very little bad said about the cub ii anywhere on the web. Is it versatile for a range of style??

Last edited:

Gemini2

I cant get enough info on the Cub II . Is it capable of some good cleans to be able to do Dire Strait type sounds (early albums), or is it more geared to a 'rock' sound??
There is very little bad said about the cub ii anywhere on the web. Is it versatile for a range of style??
All the BD's I've heard/played the midrange sits pretty much the same, out in front. Great in the mix. I think that's the reason a lot of guys like em with Strats/Tele's.

Early Dire Strait tone is a Fender Vibrolux, very scopped, classic American tone. To be safe - I'd go with a Boutique clone of a Fender. OR, a Tone King which does that scopped, hi-fi sound.

Top Bottom