What for a rickenbacker sound?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 52ftbuddha, Jul 3, 2006.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Hi all, I have been at this a while but this one I cant answer as I have never tried a Ric untill the other day. I need the sound of a 360/6 string Rickenbacker but I do not like the Ric much. Can anyone point me in the direction of a guitar that will get me close with a thicker neck?
    Thanks
    Rob

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Possibly a Telecaster, especially a Thinline? I'm in the same boat of loving the looks of Rics, and not liking playing them much.

3. dharmafool

dharmafool Supporting Member

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I must confess to having a few teles, I was hoping to find something with toaster pickups, hollow and a trapeze bridge with the same scale length.
    Rob

5. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

The 330 is supposed to have a bit thicker neck. I have a 330/12 and it's not thin (but nothing like my Gibson Historic or Tele with a boatneck profile either!). All depends on what you mean by "thin", but you should at least try one.

I agree that you could get close with a Thinline Tele and a pair of toasters, but nothing's going to do it like a Ric.

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

I just got a 360 and I"m finding it's an acquired taste. You just need to put up all your other guitars for a while and let your fingers get used to the smaller neck. I hear a lot of comments about how unplayable they are, but I do not find that to be the case. I really love the big old fat Les Paul reissue necks that I have. But, a time and place for everything. THe Ric takes a bit more concentration right now. I can feel it getting easier to play every day.

I have big hands, fat fingers. It's coming along.

That being said, if you want a Ric tone, you need to buy a Ric.

7. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I will have to give a 330 a look. Does anyone rework Ric's to customers specs? I am not beyond buying one and having the neck re-done. If R8 owners can have new neck profiles how about Ric owners.
    Rob

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It would be really very difficult to have a new neck put on a Rick - the 300 series has a neck which goes about halfway into the body, between the two pieces that make up the hollow body, and the 600 series has a through neck. Either way you'd have to basically take the body apart and start again.

Probably the best you could do would be to get a 660 (Tom Petty) and have the neck - which is HUGE - reprofiled smaller if it's too big for you. I don't think there is a 300 series model with the neck that size.

Like many others here and elsewhere, I love Ricks for that sound they do like nothing else, but find them frustrating - not entirely the neck profiles, but the electronics and some of the other ergonomics too.

My 360 is currently for sale... I just don't use it enough :(.

9. photoguy

photoguy Member

You need to talk to Mark Arnquist. He is the man when it comes to all things Rickenbacker. He's a regular at BeatGearCavern.com

10. scottlr

scottlr Member

The 330 and the 360 have the same neck, with binding on the 360, according to John Hall of Rickenbacker. The Tom Petty model has a wider neck. There is another model that also has a wider neck, but I can't recall which one it is. Might be all of the 600 series. The 300 series have the thin necks.
    As for Custom Shop stuff from RIC, I don't think they do, but it wouldn't hurt to call them.
    Also look in at VoxTalks.com for more RIC info.

11. Doodad

Doodad Member

Dang my last post disappeared in cyber space.

Two things. Ask on the Rickenbacker site and two well known Ric luthiers will chime in.

The second. I hate to say this since I love love my Ric, but a sorta kinda close sound is believe it or not Danelectro. Much bigger neck too. I mean plywood and formica have their limits granted, but for $200 why not try?

12. uberpict

uberpict Member

If the Ric is out, I would say Norlin era Les Paul with the maple neck and top, lot's of maple and put toasters in it. Maybe a deluxe with mini-hums would work. The neck size goes without saying, pretty sure the mid-seventies Gibsons had bigger necks.

The thread is giving me, uuuurp; excuse me a bit of GAS for a Ric now. Hi-ho, hi-ho it's off to eBay we go. :D

13. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Hi again all, How big is the toaster pickup? What are the mounting dimensions. Does anyone make a vintage toaster besides Ric? So far I am thinking a maple tele thinline with any neck I want, or maybe gutting an Ibanez Artcore. I have a Jerry Jones and it is close but the hollow body allows for a resonance and sustain that I cant mimic.
    Rob

14. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I've asked Ric directly as well as several prominent Ric dealers about getting a 660/TP width neck on a 360 platform. With one exception (a well-respected dealer), all of the answers were either a curt 'no' or pretty much a rude 'pound sand'!

I really don't get it - I'll probably still end up with a 660/12 at some point, but this is NOT an uncommon request. I guess with the 12-18 month backlog they really could care less about customer service or making any sort of accomodation. I guess I've been spoiled by real customer service with other companies like Hamer.
    :NUTS

Either a Tele thinline body fitted with toaster tops (easily done mod - still helps to pick close to the bridge) or a Hamer Maple Newport w/Phat Cats should get you pretty close to a 360/6 sound.

15. loudboy

loudboy Supporting Member

You might want to check out an early-production Godin Radiator. Ric made 'em change the PU design, so apparently they were onto something...

I've got one and it's a really cool guitar. Loads of fun, and sounds like a Ric w/a little Tele spank thrown in.

Loudboy

16. goodtone

goodtone Member

If I was looking for a Rick I'd get a 660 12 or a 381 12 with a cool looking top. Both models have reasonable medium size necks, not like the skinny necks on the 330 or 360 models. You would then have the option of using the Rick as a 12 or 6 string electric which obviously can't be accomplished with a regular 6 string model. Plus a full size neck in my opinion adds more over all tone to the guitar sound. Play on.

17. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

damn, that's what i was gonna say!

+1

18. photoguy

photoguy Member

Just to add to the discussion of neck size on the 360, its my understanding that when they calculated the fretboard width for string spacing, they didn't count the binding area...IOW, they started with a pretty narrow neck to begin with and made it even narrower by not using the entire surface. This resulted in a pretty tight string spacing on the 360. I think they've re-calculated this on the new production and now ship 360's with the same nut as is on the 330's which is a little wider spacing. I thijnk this is a result of Ric paying attention to what the public was saying on the web as there was a ton of discussion about the 12 string playability.

19. walpow

walpow Guest

Another vote for the Godin Radiator. Through my Traynor YCV20WR, it's Ticket to Ride city.

Nathan
    http://walpow.com

20. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

How can you tell which is early production?