What Fuzz Face clone...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jackaroo, Jun 24, 2008.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Cleans up well and plays nice with other pedals?

My JH Fuzzface sounds the part on its own, but it's very picky about pedal order and wont clean up right unless it's first in line or there's only TB( true bypass) pedals in front of it. So I can't use the FF with my Mojo vibe or picture wah very well at all. I've tried subbing in other things...mixing up the order- nothing works.

I really like the pedal, but it's just too damn fussy. What's the solution???

What cha got?

2. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

3. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I did a little comparison of the 69 and the Sweet Sound Monterey Fuzz. The 69 has more tonal options but the Monterey is soooo smooth...I love 'em both. The Monterey is dead quiet and wasn't picky at all about placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEDB70BviQ

-Chris

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think most fuzz faces are a pain. They like to be first in the chain, and they don't get along with all other pedals.

Tesse wahs now have the fuzz friendly circuit built in, but if you have an old one, it will need to be installed.

As far as fuzz pedals go, I cannot recommend a Monsterpiece enough! The Classic will get you early Hendrix, the NPN will get you late Hendrix and early Gilmore. The MKII will get you early zep, and the Angry Dick will give you that spitty biker fuzz. The PNP is a hybrid of germanium and silicon, and is a mix between the too.

But like most fuzzes you will need to be careful with placement. A lot of the Monsterpiece Fuzzes have a bias knob mounted on the front, so you can dial the transistors in a bit more easily than most fuzz faces.

Try pic wah, into JH fuzz, into the vibe. With the fuzz friendly circuit the wah and fuzz should get along.

Good luck!

dk

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

ALL Fuzz Face pedals are a pain in the backside...however the Mojovibe and Teese wah shouldn't cause much if any issues at all...whats going on with them??

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The wah is basically not doing anything...as per the Foxrox link it's not driving the FF hard enough. The Mojo is basically sucking all the gain out of the FF I might need 2 of those Fox Rox dealies...

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ok, the issue with the wah is for sure the buffer, a buffer will fix that issue. My Teese wah has the FFT and works more that well with my Fuzz Face...the mojovibe on the other hand is confusing to me...I thought those were true bypass pedals?? No?

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Perhaps I wasn't clear. There's no issue when the Mojo is bypassed. Is that it sounds crappy when used along with the FF...kinda a huge drag since I wanted to get those BOG tones...univibe into FF into a just breaking up amp.

10. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Get from Analogman wah buffer pedal. He uses the Foxrox system.
    You can get it with LED's, 9v tap, etc. It's also true bypass. As for the Mojo Vibe, I couldn't deal with the pickyness of the pedal placement.
    I sold mine and bought a Megavibe.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Good stuff...

Calling Mike now-

J

12. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I've got an Analogman Sunface NKT 275 which I really like.
    The problem is that (as all Germanium fuzzes from what I've heard) one day I get a heavenly tone out of it and next day there seems to be sth wrong. Dunno must be the temperature stuff or current or who knows what.

13. meterman

meterman Member

I use either a germanium London fuzz or a Foxrox Hot Silicon fuzz after an Aquavibe and Teese RMC3 with Foxrox buffer installed. Both sound great just different flavors, the London has big low end, smooth, cleans up great, Hot Silicon has more gain, sizzle, lots of different tones in it...

14. sqadan

sqadan Member

I have one of these... The bias knob / Sundial usually fixes this problem... The Sunface is without a doubt the best Fuzz pedal I've ever used.

15. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

I'm totally in love with the Fulltone 70's fuzz at the moment, but the Analogman fuzz's are great indeed.

16. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

Yeap, I know. Yet to get used to it though.
    Anyway, it is definitely a great fuzz. Very unlikely to get off from my board.:dude

17. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I had placement issues with my Microvibe (Voodoo Lab, for those who don't know). Now I have a KR Megavibe coming as soon as my name comes up (which should be fairly soon). I want to run my vibe pedal before the fuzz, not after (after sounds like "Who's That Lady"). The old Univibes gave the Band Of Gypsies when run AFTER the fuzz, but the remakes seem to be different. I'm going with the Megavibe because it apparently works and sounds the way I want it to when placed before the fuzz, according to Gear Page members I've talked to.
    I can't say enough about my NKT Sunface. Not as "fuzzy" as others, but it does the old Cream/Hendrix thing better than any others I've heard. Plus it has the sundial, which, to me, is essential. I'd like to get one made with 2 high gain NKT275's (my regular one has 1 high and 1 low). Top of the heap, as far as I'm concerned. SO nice with a Strat. I'll probably get the silicon BC-108 Sunface too, but I've got other fish to fry at the moment.

18. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

No *true* fuzzface circuit will offer a solution to any of these inherent problems. The magic of the fuzzface is unlocked when you learn to play by its rules, rather than trying to circumvent them. Just my 0.02 (which adjusted for inflation, isn't worth a dang thing).

Now if this is another "suggest your favorite FF" thread: I have tried several Londons, a 69, a McFuzz, Diaz, Addrock, VL Bosstone, and some more I've forgotten. I still own one of the Londons, the Diaz, and the Addrocks. My favorites right now are my Addrocks (though the London and the Diaz rotate in regularly - most excellent pedals!). I really love my Addrocks right now though. I have the Geranium Fuzz and the Hism Scism. They are currently the only dirt on my board right now, and I can get just about any sound I need from one or the other or both. But they would all have the same probelms you are describing if I used a vibe or wah. Actually I do use wah occasionally, and I just put it after the fuzzes. But I don't use wah or vibe ever unless someone makes me, and fortunately that isn't too often anymore.

19. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi try to find the Hellbilly, its a great Fuzz clone with treble boost.
    Peace Strat58

20. sabby

sabby Member

:agree