What Fuzz for Doyle Bramhall II (Welcome)?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 20forSeven, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

What is a good fuzz to get similar tones like the ones on this essential album? I have been considering the Pink Purple Fuzz from BJF, is this a good choice?

2. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

You may want to find out from Alan Durham what the wait is on the new Doyle collaboration that he's been working on.

http://durhamelectronics.com/menu.html

3. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

4. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Crest Audio Fuzz Face with si bc109 is what he used, but he often changes pedals, and has a HUGE pedalboard

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

AKA FoxRox Hot Silicon ???? :drool

6. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

7. gillibi

gillibi Member

The Durham pedal is going to be a boost/octave-up/leslie pedal all in one.

8. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

I'm pretty sure Doyle is all about the Prescription Experience. Sounds to me like its all over that record.

9. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

You can cop that tone with a Sunface from Analogman with single coils into a slighty broken up Marshall type amp.

The Durham Mucho Boosto can get pretty tasty too for those type tones.

10. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Is it just me or is Doyle's Welcome album nothing short of awesome. His tone is amazing and perfect for each individual song, the songwriting is great. If this album came out in 1972 it would be considered one of the all-time greats.

abnerfm likes this.
  11. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

Totally agree. I've been trying to turn people on to this guy for a while. Incredible.

Oh, and I can get a few Doyle type tones from a Fulltone '70 mixed with EMMA Reezafratzits set to moderate OD with the volume backed down slightly.

12. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Member

Oh and check out Doyles myspace page. There's a few new/unreleased tunes on it and the tones again are nothing short of amazing.

13. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Just plug straight into a Route 66 and you've got very convincing Doyle II tones. He uses 100 watt Super Bass heads into 2x12's and a tweed Gibson Explorer for the cleaner stuff. It's so cool to find a DB II thread. Thanks!

Brandon

14. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Not only is this album one of my all-time favorites, but I think it is truly a masterpiece. I can't even tell you the names of most of the songs but over the years I will leave it in my car's cd player and just listen to it over and over again from start to finish for a few weeks. Everytime I think maybe I should change the cd a new song comes on and I go "oh this one again, I can't take it out yet." and this will basically happen with every song. It is definately in my top 10 albums list. Are Doyle's other albums solo snd with the arc angels as good as Welcome? No music stores seem to carry any of his stuff anymore, I guess I can probably buy them on amazon though. The last song on Welcome where the amp is literally tearing apart is one of the most awesome tones ever recorded. If you own this album go out and buy it again and give it to a friend, this music needs to be heard.

abnerfm likes this.
  15. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

There are a lot of pedals that are like his sound, but the one he actually uses is the NKT sunface :)

[​IMG]

16. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I love Jelly Cream as a close second to Welcome. Superb songwriting, performance, and vibe. He's definitely in my top 5 fave players...ever. And not to mention his singing!! This guy just oozes talent...and he's not even signed. What a shame.

Brandon

17. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

He isn't the best singer around, but like his playing he ha tone and taste to a tee. When I first heard his singing I wasn't overly impressed but over the years I have become more and more impressed with his subtleties and sweetness in his voice. Music really just pours out of this guy.

18. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Actually his smaller board was posted here about a year ago-do a search for "COB" I belive-that is the Rx Electronics Clean Octave Blend. If I remember his board also had a very old Deja Vibe-black with white stencils, a Sex Drive, DL-4, Boss TR-2 Trem, a TS-9, volume pedal? and wah.

19. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

How do you know???

20. eric-d

eric-d Member

John Landgraff just sent me this..... This is Doyle's board for the 2006 tour.

[​IMG]