1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What fuzzes/overdrives for White Stripes tones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dorfmeister, Oct 13, 2008.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

as far as I know, jack white uses a stock NYC reissue big muff that's been re-housed in a hammond enclosure. Analog Mike can give you details.

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

My Treble Booster does a great job of *simulating* the cranked up Twin/Silvertone amps. I'd recommend a big muff style fuzz to nail the leads, as opposed to a fuzzface fuzz. As far as fuzz, where a silicon fuzzface sounds trebley, and a Germanium fuzzface sounds bassy, a big muff will sound full, but maybe a little light in the mids.

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Any boutique Muff-types that you think are especially good for White Stripeish tones?

5. Garage Dog

Garage Dog Member

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Just get a Big Muff...no point in trying other things that somebody says might get you close when you can nail it with a Big Muff...

As for the OD tones, thats a cranked Silvertone and i've never found another amp that sounds like that except another cranked Silvertone...sorry.