1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

What Genre is the Enemy of Parents these Days?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 8len8, Jun 29, 2020.

1. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

This parent doesn't like vocals with autotune

Beto, stephax, Badtone and 1 other person like this.
  2. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

3. tinverse

tinverse Member

I think that in the mainstream you currently have pop and rap. The pop is pretty 'safe' and manufactured so it doesn't really push the envelope.

As others have mentioned, I think Eminem really killed the whole notion of parents being offended by music. From my understanding he also sort of killed the notion of anyone else being better at rap than him because every couple years he releases a new album where he will do whatever the current trends are and do it better than anyone else has. (I'm not huge on rap, but I have been told that from multiple people.)

Leader Desslok likes this.
  4. Leader Desslok

Leader Desslok Member

He's an incredible rapper and I'm not even a big rap fan.

5. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

These multiple people are wrong. Em was a great rapper, and has a claim to Top 10 all-time, but the notion that he's topping people at their own game is a stretch.

Brandon7s, Uncle Dad and A-Bone like this.
  6. The Captain

The Captain Member

Played really quietly.

Steadfastly likes this.
  7. soma

soma Member

Praise and Worship, obviously.

8. Emigre

Emigre Member

Well it’s obvious innit.

The parents of today are the same people whose own parents were banning Ozzy. Even that’s too old. The parents of today were having Bodycount banned for them.

A teen in 82 would be 50 today. Do some math people...

May I also remind the TGP faithful that the whole “parental advisory” sticker trend of the 90’s started with rap/hip hop, afaik...

Edit: so what I mean is that music as the “enemy of parents” ceased to be a thing once the “enemy”-loving teens grew up to be the parents.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    nowhere, GtrWiz and bobcs71 like this.
  9. sws1

sws1 Member

I think about the corollary to this question all the time.

Back when I was in High School, you had the jocks, the metal heads, etc.

I think today, you still have the jocks, but who is the equivalent of all those kids who went to 80s metal shows? Do any kids "rock"? Or do they "dance" instead?

10. Emigre

Emigre Member

You're trying to see today's culture with 80's tinted glasses.

Many years ago when I met Mrs Emigre, she came from a different culture. I was similarly surprised at first that everyone in her family down the generations liked the same music, films, actors etc.

I realised then that it was silly to try and filter other people's culture through my own tiny sliver of time and space.

paulallan likes this.
  11. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

My 12 year old daughter’s tastes run the gambit, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Nirvana to Lady Gaga, Jonas Brothers, Vampire Weekend.

What strikes this 49 year old dad is how much of today’s popular music lacks that rebellious, dangerous element. Any rebellion or angst just seems trite and contrived.

Now, I’m sure there’s some new music out there that may curl whatever hair is left on my head... but I haven’t found it.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It was, but hip hop's older than thrash metal, so it would be unreasonable to expect it to have the same effect on parents now that it often did in the 80s and 90s. In terms of contemporary parents with minor and young adult children, whether they were fans or not those parents grew up with hip hop.

coltranemi2012 likes this.
  13. Jorge E aka ricv64

Jorge E aka ricv64 Member

Wide idea but bands that sound like the bands you use to like but without acknowledging the bands you use to like ? Nothing I hate more then someone going on like they invented the wheel .

A-Bone likes this.
  14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Preach!

15. Grun

Grun Member

Bro Country! UGH!

16. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Supporting Member

Hard For rap to be the enemy Now when your mom listened to Tupac and biggie in the 90s.

Jorge E aka ricv64 and A-Bone like this.
  17. thecoworker

thecoworker Member

The same records played over and over and over at 33 rpms

A-Bone likes this.
  18. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

yup. This and screen time in general (mostly video games) are what we're most focused on. I don't really care what my kids listen to musically, because they're mentally stable, well adjusted kids who understand right from wrong and aren't going to turn into serial killing satanists because of music.

My kids have listened to Five Finger Death Punch in the truck with me since they were toddlers, and neither of them curses, even when they don't know I'm listening.

My son (11) is interested in a pretty wide range of music that spans from Baby Shark to Skynrd to, and especially, Metallica. My daughter (7) always requests that I either put on some jazz, or "Beer Never Broke My Heart" by Luke Combs.

19. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

20. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

My sister's kids listen to rap that my parents would not have allowed. Of course my sister did listen to rap starting around 1990.

Emigre and A-Bone like this.