What genre/style would you say You Like Me Too Much (Harrison) is?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
So I'm doing my bills with Help as background, my wife walks by and asks me, "What genre of music would say this song is?" I was surprised to realize I couldn't answer her question. How would you answer her?

RhytmEarl

Good music.

And that's a serious answer. But if you want a genre specific name I'd guess Pop-Folk with a bit of English song and dance.

ballynally

I have never been able to answer that question myself. And maybe that's why they are so great. They are all over the place, used everything and maintained originality. it's fresh every time you hear it. It won't date either. it's the magic every band is looking for..

still.ill

I like that song a lot because its very different than other beatles songs in that period... wistful instead of rabble rousing Lennon

mrbungel

I like that song a lot because its very different than other beatles songs in that period... wistful instead of rabble rousing Lennon
Interesting.
To me, it sounds like Lennon/McCartney
could have written that tune.
I think George was heavily influenced
by the "gods", L and M.
Of course, his guitar playing is not
the question.
He got the guitar thingies right off the bat.

He once said that "Don't Bother Me" was
a piece of fluff, and he wasn't proud of it.
Hell, that was a GREAT song.

"So go away, leave me alone, don't bother me."
Then the Lennon/McCartney harmonies come in,
nothing better.

I'm pretty sure that years later,
George's songwriting got better, all the time.

Rabble rousing Lennon?
Sometimes.
Other times,
John wrote and sang ballads.
touching, slow songs.

The never ending saga of the Beatles.

urizen

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, Britpop of that time---it's a catchy tune and I liked it as a kid, but it's not hard to imagine Peter Noone (Herman's Hermits) or Freddy (Freddy and the Dreamers) also covering it (w/ a few tweaks, mebbe), and P&J did write some tunes to be covered by others that they didn't seem to take that seriously for themselves (A World Without Love, for example---a hit for Jane Asher's bro Peter and his mate Gordon, but the Beatles never covered it, and both Paul and John made some pretty risible remarks about its lyrics).

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, folks. I don't think I got "an answer" - but I got some excellent "answers." :)

And BTW, now that I think about it, is the beat at times "skiffle?"

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I was going to suggest Beatles take on skiffle country, with their filtered & twisted recipe of undeniable. kinda like los lobos take on Mexican folk tunes.

they were the rock maimers and torn down every conceivable formula of pop music and created a totally different frontier, even when they played it straight it sounded unique.

Trending Topics