What Gibson SG is Joe Bonamassa Playing Here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stamos6669, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Stamos6669

Stamos6669 Member

I know it says Gibson SG Standard but I can't seem to find *this* particular model for sale (including with that color). There seems to be so many Gibson SG Standards and I'm having trouble wading through them. Did they ever end up making this particular model with the baked maple?

Thank you!!

2. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

The baked maple, large guard, and color would put it at 2012.

3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

He says it's a Gibson SG Standard because It is a Gibson SG Standard. Probably close to late 2011 or early 2012. In 2012 I believe Gibson started offering both baked maple and rosewood fretboards. Which would date the guitar closer to 2012.

smolder likes this.
  4. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Considering that video is from 2014, I would be looking for a vintage white standard from 2012 to 2013… Here’s a 2011 that is very similar, but I don’t know if it has the baked maple fretboard

https://reverb.com/item/19725519-gibson-sg-standard-2011-white

In looking for 2014, I see they mostly have small guards, so maybe they didn’t proceed with the model (?)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  5. LoudAC30

LoudAC30 Member

It’s the latest signature Joe Banammasa Limited Edition “Kevin” SG Standard that is an exact replica of one he saw hanging in a guitar center in Des Moines Iowa in 2012. He didn’t actually ever play the original but it was always on his mind so he just had to have Gibson recreate it for his 63rd custom signature model. Limited to just 16,000 pieces it is sure to be a major collectors item.

speedtaco and Highway Man like this.
  6. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Is he playing a Chibson? Joe took a vow of poverty. :p

7. Stamos6669

Stamos6669 Member

Thank you! It looks very similar but the headstock of the SG in your Reverb link says "Model" on it in script, while the one in the JB vid doesn't say anything. JB does say it's a prototype so if that's the only difference then that's fine.

I messaged the seller for more information.

8. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

If you’re talking about the truss rod cover, it says "Mabel", which is an aftermarket addition

9. Stamos6669

Stamos6669 Member

Ah, I see. Well, that can always be replaced ;-)

I don’t think this is the one though; I’m no expert but that fretboard in the Reverb link doesn't look like baked maple to me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  10. buzzard blues bird

buzzard blues bird Member

Joe saw an sg once so it’s probably going to be a new signature model

HoboMan and speedtaco like this.
  11. Coolidge

Coolidge Member

I'm just never going to be a roasted maple guy.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I know that there was a limited edition white Standard like that, that was only sold through a couple of online guitar stores back then. I wanted one to go with my Blue Metallic '92 SG Std. and my cherry SG Classic, but never got one. I don't think Gibson ever had it in the catalog. I don't remember the baked maple fretboard thing, but maybe the last of them had that. Those can't be 490/498 pickups on that one, are they?. His sounds great, I wish I could get mine to sound like that, real Clapton-esque. Maybe it's the amp.
    Al

13. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Its the amp, guitar and player.Theyre not going to give him anything less than AAA guitar for a commercial. But i can tell you that an experienced player can make almost any guitar sound good as long as it can stay in tune. Ya know?