What gig amp is most trouble free ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bad Back, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Of the amps you take to gigs, and I mean at least 30 to 40 plus gigs, what amp/s/ have been the most reliable, trouble free?

For me, it's been Rivera.

TIA

Eric

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

My 1970 Fender Deluxe I played for 18 years without one single problem. Most other tube amps I've played I've only had tube issues with, not amp issues..... I think that goes for about 95% of all tube amps.

3. 67super

67super Supporting Member

Of all time a MusicMan 65, more recently a 68 DR.

4. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

late 70's Marshall JMP....

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

+1.

I had a 79 50watter from 85-97. I put a million miles on it, tons of gigs. Never let me down.

At one gig my singer tripped over my guitar cord. The head was pulled off of my two cab stack and crashed to the ground.
    Put it back on the cabs and plugged my guitar back in and played on! I didn't even take to a shop to have it looked at after that.

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

oddly enough - my old HR Dlx was problem free for 500 + shows I used it in the 3 years I was regularly playing out. Only after I got it home years later it started to develop issues....

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

None of my amps have ever needed anything other than routine changing of tubes.

8. doc

doc Member

I'd vote for any of the old solid state Peaveys. You might dispute the tone, but no question about the reliability. They're like Lee jeans - "Can't bust 'em".

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've been pretty lucky too. Never had any tubes go out, or sudden failures. I still take extra sets of preamp tubes, and a backup amp (Cube 60 or Classic 30) but never have needed to use them.

The only thing I have reservations about IS the Classic 30 (or 50) only because they use "jumpers" to jumper between PC boards, and I have heard that they sometimes can loosen or cinch up and lose contact.
    Have never yet experienced that though.

10. utterhack

utterhack Member

Jazz Chorus 120 can only be damaged by a wooden stake through the heart. And fire. And beheading.

11. mds

mds Member

My Mesa DC-5 has been put through the ringer over the last...umm...12 years. Rock solid...with emphasis on the rock...haha

12. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

That's the first amp that came to mind for me.

13. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

+2 Still gigging with my '79 Marshall 2204 and it's never been serviced (just tubes).

14. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

About 300 gigs with my Aiken Sabre over the last 2 years....spotless performance and magnificent tone.

15. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I've never had a problem at a gig/jam or practice with almost any amp, but I also don't beat them physically.
    I remember having some guy come to my house and his amp was on casters. My old house had a craggy, old driveway, and he pushed his amp up the driveway bumping it all the way. I was surprised it worked at all after that ride. His amp was covered in tears and dings. That's how amps break 99% of the time. Mistreatment. THey are audio reproduction devices. Not chairs, bumpercars, or luggage.

16. bosstone

bosstone Member

I have a thoroughly used 1984 Boogie MKIIC+. When I bought it I immediately took it to Mesa for a full checkout and service. Mike B, there said it looked like it had never been worked on. He spotted one resistor that looked like it was burned. He replaced it and suggested replacing one other resistor and two condensers as preventative maintenance, so in 24 rears or hard use it apparently needed only changes of tubes and one cheap resistor. Oh yah, the foam rubber pad that dampens the reverb springs had decomposed and its crumbled bits had stuck to the springs and seriously dampened the effect. I carefully carefully removed them with a toothbrush and solvent and it worked perfectly.

17. MikeS

MikeS Member

Sewell Texaverb for me. It's been all over the country, in the belly of a bus, back of a van, trunk of my car... not one issue at all.

18. fender tele

fender tele Member

Someone on here said the other day that the only things left after a nuclear war would be cockroaches & Peavey amps.

19. phatster

phatster Member

I have an old Legend amp that refuses to die.Its the one that Billie G. used{same model}

20. rooster

rooster Member

Never had a problem with my amps.

rooster.