What good happened to the blues when the Beatles came out?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clifford-D, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

What good happened to the blues when the Beatles came out?

I just thought it sounded like an interesting question =)

2. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Dumb question. The Beatles were just great, therefore good for all music.

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

4. dcbc

dcbc Member

Oh Darlin'!

5. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Member

Great question that should be applied to many other music forms besides blues.

The Beatles themselves are not to blame as they in fact championed many diverse forms of music.

Beatlemania & the resultant record/radio frenzy created a vacuum that killed off (or drove well underground) many other forms of music. Disco caused a similar issue in the 70's.

Great music however does not get killed just buried. Uncovering buried musical treasures is its own reward.

6. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

One After Nine Oh Nine, Oh Darling, Yer Blues, Revolution (slow version), Back In The USSR, Long Tall Sally... That's just off the top of my head.

7. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

And lest we forget - I want You (She's So Heavy). Case closed.

8. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Eventually Muddy Waters recorded Electric Mud.

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

The best thing that ever happened to the blues was the internet. ;)

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

are you kidding?

the beatles introduced us in the states to an avalanche of british bands, most of whom were influenced by and knew more about our own blues greats than we did!

the british invasion was the best thing that ever happened to blues, especially the "second wave" of the heavier, guitar hero bands; how many american kids first heard of muddy waters by way of the rolling stones, or robert johnson by way of eric clapton and jimmy page?

11. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

You reminded me of a moment during the Beatles' famous press conference at Kennedy Airport, upon their first arrival in New York, when they said they wanted to see Muddy Waters, a reporter asked where the muddy waters were, and Paul McCartney replied, "You Americans don't seem to know your own famous people."

They also cut a version of Carl Perkins's "Matchbox," which Perkins derived from the Blind Lemon Jefferson "Match Box Blues," and I'd bet some people went scurrying to try finding the sources there, too . . .

12. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

To the 10th power
    Rob

13. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

^^^^ There ya go... Perfect answer.

Jeff

14. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

The Beatles came first, then the Stones.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Exactly.

(song starts at about 1:30)

16. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

17. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

It's never a dumb question lol... But I do get where you're coming from.

The Beatles imo were the first big rock band of the space age. They were the bridge between Elvis, Buddy and modern rock. They embraced doo-wop and blues as well as some great old jazzy show tunes like Till There Was You. (it's also George's best jazz solo imo)

The Beatles were the ones that first took a sledge hammer to the wall to tear it down. It was profound how this changed the course of history., socially, politically, spiritually,,, they were the foundation of the hippie peace freedom thing. Incredible impact on society. They were the ones that opened the doors for all of us.

I'm just one monkey and that's opinion.

From my experience, the Beatles were the first band to introduce truly exploratory uses of the blues, tunes that might edge on psychedelic, tunes that weren't about girls.
    They were the first band in the headlights that used lots of overdrive.
    They were the first band that I can remember that fused eastern sounds with modern blues sounds creating a unique rock sound.
    And the blues benefitted by getting a facelift that would be realized even further by Hendrix and Clapton etc,,,
    The Beatles took the spirit of Buddy Holly and in an odd way, helped realize Buddy vision of what rock could be, most likely better than Buddy could ever have done.

If Buddy was Newton then the Beatles were Einstein. And quantum blues was the baby.

I think that's one of the coolest parts of this, in R&R, the blues was a baby again.

18. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Yep.. Would The Stones, The Who, and The Kinks etc.. had the same impact in the US if it weren't for The Beatles?

Jeff

19. DRS

DRS Member

You have to remember that when the Beatles hit big in 63, young black people weren't listening to the blues. They'd moved on. Motown and other soul labels were what was hot. As others have pointed out, other British bands like the Rolling Stones, Clapton, and Fleetwood Mac got white American kids interested in the blues which rejuvenated most of the old bluesman's careers. The Beatles were the bridge for these other British bands.

So the answer to the OPs question is that the Beatles helped the blues and bluesman in a big way.

20. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

the first i became aware of muddy,wolf and some others were through quotes in an early biography of the beatles.took me til my mid 20's to start listening to all the early blues guys.