• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What guitar feels like 'home' to you?

lcfparty35

I bounce between a Les Paul Classic, an American standard strat, and a highway one Tele with Fralins, and I like them all about the same. I've tried on other guitars but end up passing them on. So I guess the answer is, no.

Average Joe

for playing feel and ergonomics a strat is home base for me. They just work for me, at least with a modern radius and medium-jumbo frets. However, since I like humbuckers, I like the platform, but prefer to change the electronics.

Riffzilla

Used to be a Les Paul but these days I'm all about the SG! Last time I strapped on an LP I couldn't put it down quick enough. They still sound amazing but everything else is bad and I'm over them now.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
1. Any Les Paul with a beefy neck. My preference goes to R8 necks.
2. My 1991 SG even has a very thin neck. After almost 30 years of playing she just belongs to my hands.
3. Any Gibson in general.

Krashpad! Haven’t seen you in a long time! Hello.

To answer the question. I’ve had a lot of guitars that I’ve loved so much a thought there would never be another. My current squeeze is this PRS Studio, it does exactly what I want an never have to fight it.

Good to read you! :aok

JPenn

prs with a trem, old wide-fat neck profile with standard fretwire, and preferably mccarty thickness body. i've tried to get away from these guitars many times, but always come back to them.

the mccarty trems are kinda hard to find anymore. luckily, the last time i was looking i ran up on a 2000 semi hollow custom 22. same body thickness as a mccarty, 7.75#, and goldtop/moons/trem!!

Social Exodus

Lone Wolf
Definitely agree with the OP. For me my 2004 50th Anniversary Commemorative American Deluxe Stratocaster (The one with the gold hardware and the 50th anniversary logo) feels like home. It took me awhile to get used to the noiseless pickups, but they've grown on me over the years.

Definitely a Strat (9.5"), then the Charvel variation of the same (10"-16"), and the Jackson Soloist neck thru take on the idea (10"-16" or maximum of 17").

Specifically, a 1962 Goya G-10 classical guitar, a 1960s or early 1970s Japanese Chiyoda classical guitar, and 1950s Gibsons. I have some 1950s Gibson hollowbodies and a 1957 Les Paul TV Model. Gibsons and Gibson-like guitars from other eras don't feel quite like that to me. It is about those big necks. But my 1990 Japanese Greco Les Paul Custom copy, 1974 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, and fairly recent Gibson Custom Shop double cutaway "R8" Les Paul Junior come close.

jbviper4

My 89 Takamine EF341. Favorite by far. For electrics, I smile everytime I wank my plank (Telecaster).

bluegrif

I can get along with any good guitar and love my semi-hollows, my MIJ 58 style V, etc. But when it comes to what feels like home, there's no contest. Fender Strat. Probably has a lot to do with literally growing up playing an early 60s Jazzmaster, then a new 1970 Strat. I've gone periods of not even owning one. But whenever I pick up a Strat (assuming it's a Fender or close copy) it always feels like home. It's the guitar I can play in my sleep.

Lef T

For me it's my Telecaster.
It has what I want and need.
I don't lust after anything else.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
50s style Strats!

I have been trying to get used to a Tele/Esquire for a few months and it is starting to feel more like home. I like them better sitting down than standing up due to the lack of contouring. I’m comfortable enough with it to play in front of people where a Les Paul, while I’ve spent more time on them than Teles, I’d be nervous at a jam.

Jimmy R

I've got three Fender Custom Shops that feel like home:

2017 '57 Strat
2018 '51 Nocaster
2019 '56 Tele

The Strat has a Soft V and the two Teles have 10/56s.

Trending Topics