What guitar gear you used in 1960s and 1970s

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by effectfreak, Apr 30, 2019.

1. pinkopotamus

pinkopotamus Member

I barely get in here and I'm pretty sure this isn't what you are looking for but I got my first guitar in 1979.

I had a Sears Catalog Harmony Flying V. My amp was an ancient Silvertone. I'm not sure of the model but it was around 5 watts and it was tube.

2. Deanriffs

Deanriffs Silver Supporting Member

When I started playing around ‘78 I had a horrible Bentley Les Paul copy and equally bad Crate amp that looked like a wooden crate.

In ‘79, upgraded to a Cherry early 70s SG Standard with a harmonica bridge and a Lab Series L7 amp. My buddies in high school really dug the SG. That L7 was my last solid state amp, other than a little Blackstar battery-operated one.

3. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

I was a teenager with a Kay hollowbody guitar, a Jordan bass amp, and a Big Muff Pi (which I bought around 1976). By 1978 I had acquired a wine red Gibson Les Paul Custom.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah. My first pedal...

[​IMG]

EarleG, Bluedano1, Leonc and 3 others like this.
  5. tubedude

tubedude Member

1973 Gibson SG
    Earth revival 100 watt amp
    Maestro phaser
    Thomas organ cry baby, still on my current pedal board
    Mxr distortion +
    Did me well in 1976 and more than a decade later

Leonc likes this.
  6. grizz

grizz Member

late 60s it was a Silvertone (Teisco) semi hollow and no amp
    [​IMG]
    In the 70s it was a wine red LP standard,
    [​IMG]
    Bassman amp,
    [​IMG]
    EH muff fuzz box,
    [​IMG]
    Kustom 4x12 tuck and roll cab
    [​IMG]
    and a second hand cry baby
    (pics from search engine since I don't have them any more)

EarleG, Leonc and Baxtercat like this.
  7. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Peasants? Well, to be honest, in my case, the evidence definitely supports it.:) All I could afford was garbage for guitars (60s and early 70s) . It wasn't until I left home (later in the 70s) that I could earn enough to get the guitar I lusted after: Left-handed Gibson SG. The LP came a few years later.

8. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

Got my first guitar in '65, an acoustic, by redeeming Blue Chip Stamps. Meanwhile my older cousins were getting SGs, Esquires, Strats, Martins, Super Reverbs, Bandmasters, etc.

My next guitar was a Gibson LG-0 rented from Ernie Ball Guitars in Tarzana, where I took lessons.

My first electric came in '68, a St. George with a DeArmond pickup. The amp was a Gibson Skylark.

In '69 I got a home-made Strat body with a Tele neck and two single coil pickups. In '70 I got a '66 Pro Reverb. My first pedal was a crap wah-fuzz. Those came from the Ernie Ball store.

In '71 I got a '61 white SG Special with a Bigsby. In '72 I got a '67 fireglow Rickenbacker 360. In '73 I got a '61 ES-345. Those came from the first Guitar Center store.

Those were the days. Great used gear and great new tubes were plentiful and affordable.

9. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

^
    Oh yeah.
    You could just buy four more RCA blackplates for yr Twin or Showman for about $30 or $40. :)

10. twotone

twotone Member

I started playing in 1975. My first guitar was a plywood Strat copy, then a year later I traded it in on plywood Les Paul copy that was in some ways worse, and in the spring of 1977 I got a decent Les Paul copy. In 1979 I traded that in on a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

My first amp was a cheap solid state 112 combo that would stay clean even when turned up full blast. I had that up until the summer of 1977. For the remainder of the decade I had a Peavey Classic 50 watt hybrid 212 combo.

11. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Member

All 70's:
    76 Les Paul Custom bought new along with
    Music Man HD 130 head with matching 4 x 12 cab
    1960 Telecaster with tweed Harvard amp
    1968 Martin D-35

In the 60's as a youngster I had a Decca Electric guitar (with a gold foil p/u) and Decca amp (it had tremelo).

Leonc likes this.
  12. CDP

CDP Member

70's

Univox 100watt SS Head w/ matching 4 x 10 cabinet

Univox Strat

Big Muff

miss those days!

13. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Speaking of Univox, back in the 70's we used to jam with a guy who had one of these. Don't remember how it sounded but you gotta admit the look is cool.

[​IMG]

14. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I started visiting guitar stores at some point in 1968, I was 13. I wanted a guitar, no one around me knew anything about them. I wanted an electric. I received a used Gibson es-125tc and a small Harmony amp. I didn't like the amp cause it distorted. SO my first view at the time was, you want solid state for clean and reliability<<Wish I acquired better advice. Really, your main source of what was good, was what were your heroes using. The main choices were, Vox, Fender, Gibson, Marshall and down the line. Imports, if you could find them were VERY poo pooed. Most store owners and employees were old men, to me. Hard to talk to. And more difficult to deal with as a 13 yr old. The ONE guitar center on Sunset, was filled with pushing rocks star wannabe's. You gonna buy, was most of their vocabulary. I would gather the brochures. I had them all and drooled and read the specs. Didn't know what most of it meant. Things I didn't know about and most people didn't either, Setups, pickups, neck size, weight. Really, it was how cool it looked. I thought Gibson outclassed everything. I thought Fender was 2nd rate in everything.

Lef T likes this.
  15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I tried to start playing in late 1970, in my first year in college. But I didn't own a guitar or an amp. I typically just picked up friends guitar when I was visiting their dorm room or apartment and drummed out a few cowboy chords that I'd learned. Eventually, maybe in early 1971(?) a friend loaned me his guitar, which he had given up trying to play. It was a POS Italian no-name guitar, thin hollow body, with a bolt on neck, horrible vibrato setup and terrible action. Just an awful piece of junk but I was able to get a bit further with it. The summer of '71, I got a summer job that enabled me to buy a mid-60s strat with an amazing metalic candy-apple--really almost purple!--finish. Then I really started to learn during my second year at school with that strat. Still no amp.

I used that strat for a couple more years. The following summer, I worked again and wound up buying a brand new Ampeg VT-40. I dropped out of school after two years, moved to Columbus, OH with a friend who was going to CCAD and got into an funk/rock/latin band in Dayton. While I was there, I traded my strat and a few hundred bucks for a '57 maple-neck strat that was in spectacular condition. Ultimately...it wasn't a great guitar and I should have kept the first one...live and learn. I also stumbled into a fantastic deal on an early 60s blond Bassman and matching piggyback cab.

Came back a year later convinced that I needed to go back to school. Shortly thereafter, my VT-40 was stolen. So no I had just the '57 Strat and Bassman. I eventually got an LPB-1 power booster and man, I loved that thing, though I did fry the original Oxfords with it. Those were eventually replaced by JBL K120s, IIRC. Later, after more work, I added a mid-60s Ampeg Reverb Rocket II to the mix. Then I sold the old Start, bought an early-60s Epiphone bat-wing guitar...I think it was a Wilshire? with mini-hums and a crappy Maestro vibrola and a Guild D25 with the profits. I got through my final year or so of college with that. I also got an early 70s Pro Reverb which I proceeded to destroy with one of those Ice Cube reverb replacement gizmos...and wound up getting rid of all that pretty quickly.

Right after I graduated and got a job, I got rid of the Wilshire bought another Strat, maybe a '75 or so (?) with a maple neck. Then I started saving money for a new amp that I'd heard about--a Mesa Boogie. In the spring of '76 I called them up and placed my order with Randy's wife, Raven. Saved more, sent them the balance and got my Boogie! It was 100W 1x12, with a 60W switch, an optional FET for V1, IIRC, a JBL (can't remember which one) and a 5-band GEQ.

Somewhere in the next year or so, I came across an old AC30 head which I got for next to nothing because it was not working. I got it repaired and that thing sounded like the voice of GOD!!! For about 2 hours until it blew up again. I think I got it repaired (and fried) it once more before I eventually sold it for about what I had in it, LOL. I also briefly had a Marshall JTM 45 (I think?) head which I decided was awesome but too loud. The Boogie was plenty loud too, but with the MV, was more controllable, in my mind.

I also got my first three Les Pauls in the 70s too. The first one was a brand spanking new Les Paul custom, which I bought in maybe 77. It was stolen within weeks. I had bought renters insurance at my dad's insistence and filed a claim. I got enough for a used Les Paul and bought a used '68 Custom. After playing it for a few days, I realized it was a WAY better guitar than the brand new one that had been stolen. The odd coda to the story was that about 9 or 10 months later, the cops called me to tell me my "new" Les Paul had turned up in a pawn shop! I had to pay to get it out, but it was worth it because I turned around and made a few hundred bucks on the sale...which enabled me to buy an even better '68/'69 Custom. Shortly after, I just kept the 3rd Les Paul Custom and got rid of the second one.

I just remembered a few other guitars I had in the 70s. At one point, must have been around 74/75, I had an ES-330 for a short while. I couldn't make it work and traded up to a walnut colored ES-335, which I probably got in about 75/76. I have one photo of me playing it at a gig in Atlanta, GA--my first "road trip."

Then late in the 70s..may have actually been '80, I got a 68 Goldtop which I kept for about 5 years. I loved it but couldn't use it in the clubs I was playing...too noisy.

I can't remember if it was 79 or 80...but somewhere around there, I got rid of the mid-70s strat and replaced it with a fantastic mid-60s strat that had been sanded down. I had that guitar and the Les Paul until about 2000. (Our drummer refinished my strat to fire-engine red in about '81 or so.)

Somewhere between '76 and '78 or so, I picked up my first pedals -- a Crybaby and a 3-button Maestro Phase Shifter, which I have to say, was a fantastic pedal. I've never heard a phase shifter more to my liking. Wish I still had it. I think I got a Boss digital delay at some point in the 70s too.

So by the end of the 70s, I was playing a mid-70s Strat, a Guild D25, a late 60s LP Custom, an original Boogie and had the blond Bassman and old Ampeg too.

Here's a photo of my last strat from that era, photo from '82 or so. Boogie is in the background and a wee bit of my old LP Custom is visible too.

[​IMG]

A better shot of my last LP Custom.
    [​IMG]

Another shot with that LP Custom. Also, a late 60s Tele which I picked up in about 80 or 81, both leaning against my first Reverb Rocket 2.
    [​IMG]

Gig in Atlanta, GA with my mid-70s Walnut ES-335
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. twotone

twotone Member

I played through a 412 cabinet of that era. The speakers had a wicked crunch. :eek:

17. gijoe

gijoe Member

Circa 1976. A 100 watt Marshall Super Tremolo w/ four Marshall 4x12s

[​IMG]

Lef T and Leonc like this.
  18. Lef T

Lef T Member

I got my first electric when I was 13.
    It was a left handed Kent.
    I began gigging that same year and the Kent was actually decent.
    A year later I ordered a left handed Gibson 335.
    It took six months to get and when it arrived it was a 330.
    I told the store owner I ordered a 335,not a 330.
    He let me use the 330 and it was another 9 months till I got the 335.
    The sixties were not an overly lefty friendly time.
    The lefty 335 with hardshell case cost me a whopping $575 Canadian.

bgh likes this.
  19. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

1972?

20. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Post-acoustic only...

Mid-70s a National LP Black Beauty clone and a stereo with a 1/4 jack input. Fuzz abounds.

1976/77: A 1966 Rick 360/6 and a '74 SF Princeton Reverb.

1979: On tour, the same '66 Rick 360/6, same SFPR plus an Orange 120 Graphic with a 2X12 cab, and in 1979 an MXR Dist+.