What guitar have you threatened to sell many times but can't do it in the end?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Jan 22, 2012.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

For whatever reason, do you have a guitar that you continually use as mental currency for other, dream purchases, but then when you think you'll sell it, you just can't do it?

2. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

My '94 Les Paul Standard and my '62 SG Special. Neither are "spectacular" guitars, but they arent bad guitars either. Every time they are on the chopping block they somehow start to sound "better". I currently gig both of them nightly.

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

My (late) father's 1957 Gibson L-50 Archtop acoustic guitar.

I have no use for it, but can't find a way to part with it. Dad's been gone 13 years. Guitar's still here.

4. SteveO

SteveO Member

Not a one. They're all keepers, and a couple have been with me for over twenty years.

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

My Gibson Custom Shop 60's Special SG. Love the tone of the guitar but not the Slim Taper neck.

6. GibsonSGgirl

GibsonSGgirl Silver Supporting Member

Yes, see the following:

2011 Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute (bought new in April of last year)

[​IMG]

1996 Fender AVRI 62 Strat (now owned for 10 years)

[​IMG]

2002 Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat

[​IMG]

late'60s/early '70s Gibson B-25N (bought while in high school)

[​IMG]

Fender Mustang Special

[​IMG]

7. BKL71

BKL71 Member

My Fender J Mascis Jazzmaster. Just when I think it's really "not for me" or for the sounds I generally use, I plug the thing in and it knocks me out. Plus, I love the satin finished neck, jumbo frets, and Adjust-O-Matic bridge, which give it more of a Gibson feel. Everytime I try and list it for sale, I wind up pulling the ad because I just can't bring myself to part with the damn thing.

8. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I don't usually threaten my guitars but I've been known to bitch-slap them once in a while.

One guitar that I sometimes think of selling is my Fender triple Tele Deluxe. The pickups (stock) sound really bland (Enforcers). I may get Curtis Novak to make them into Hybrid pickups where they look like wide range pickups but sound like something completely different.

9. teleman55

teleman55 Member

My CIJ Tele 72 Custom RI, or my Ibanez Artcore AS73, both left-handed, which complicates replacing them. Don't use them a lot but when I do, they are just right. So I keep them. Also, not a guitar, but I've got this Crate V32 Palomino. I use Fender amps mostly and this thing is probably the cheapest made in USA amp ever done, and though I use it, I don't use it a lot. But I can't get rid of it. It's cheap, tempermental, but...it's got a sound, a glorious sound, like Ampeg meets Vox meets Marshall. And they don't make them anymore. So I can't get rid of it. Mainly 'cause of the sound.

10. Bendimax

Bendimax Member

A Strat I had and played for 34 years. This guy wanted to buy it; I asked him, "So you wanna buy one of my limb?".

11. theruley

theruley Member

My MIJ Elitist Les Paul.

First time I nearly sold it to break even, couldnt go through with it.

Second time nearly sold it for a nice profit, still couldnt do it.

I have almost traded it for a number of various guitars/amps/guitar and amp combos, and every time I can never bring myself to get rid of it.

It is one of those guitars that doesnt have a huge resale value, but I know I would have a very difficult time trying to replace it if I ever sold it.

12. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I would have to say my '95 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It was more or less an accidental ebay bid from my mom 10 and a half years ago after I showed her the auction. Ended up winning the guitar at a WTF(Yay) price. It was my main flame for a few years, put some SD pickups in it and played away! I've tried to sell it when I was raising funds for this or that, but it never seemed to get any bites. Now the story and the guitar itself kind of hold a special meaning to me due to recent events...personal and BIG Gibson...I think this guitar will stay with me. I have all the stuff that I was going get if I parted with this...so what's the point? :). I would like to switch the pickups out to something a little more me...not the old me :)

13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Never say never, but my Black R8 is first in the chute. It just seems a bit redundant what with the '76 Explorer around, but it plays and sounds so perfect, I keep finding reasons to keep it here. For instance, I had a shot at a '65 Starfire VI, but instead of selling the R8 (i even posted it up in the emporiums...for an hour!) I sold half my pedalboard to get it. Things like that. I have to say, none of my gear currently has any reason for me to unload it - that equilibrium is a blessing, but a curse when GAS strikes for something new!

BTW, "that" guitar for me used to be a '69 ES-345 with a neck too narrow for me. Never picked it up as much as I did the R8. Used it for mental currency for everything, haha! But one day a straight swap opportunity came by for the '76 Explorer LE, and I jumped at that no-brainer.

So no worries. If something comes by that you just know will totally work for you more as a keeper, cash that currency in. In the meantime, enjoy it!

14. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Member

I know what you mean, rubbersoul about " continually use as mental currency "

In may case it is a all original Gibson 1955 ES-175, blonde single pickup.
    Hardly ever play it.

15. Fred132

Fred132 Member

My 335. Not the guitar for me, but it looks so cool I can't let it go.

16. Ruraltom

Ruraltom Member

I have a '59 Junior that I always think would fund another axe or two... especially back when the prices were sky high. It has vast sentimental value and sounds pretty good, but never bonded with it for some reason. Plus, if I ever regretted selling it, I doubt if I'd ever be able to replace it.

17. Lemonhand

Lemonhand Member

Once I decide to sell a guitar there's no going back.

18. Iceman63

Iceman63 Member

I've sold off a few lately....got GAS really bad a couple of years ago(I think it's my way of trying to counter feeling sad or depressed) and had too many guitars...for me at least. Now I'm down to 9 electrics, and would like to get the count down to about 5. I have my go to guitars, and don't like for the others to sit a lot unplayed. I think about selling my Reverend Buckshot....nothing at all wrong with it, would'nt make much money off it. But when I play it, I like it so much. I don't play my LP Studio that much either. But when I do, I love the feel of the fretboard and playability. Got a PRS SE Custom that I made a bunch of mods to, plays and feels great. But I don't play it much. Again, would'nt get much for it, so I keep it.

19. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

My 1991 Gibson Les Paul Standard. It's a beautiful guitar in so many ways: The Cherry Sunburst plaintop is gorgeous; the neck is perfect, plays like butter and the guitar sounds great. I've owned the guitar since it was brand new and have thought about selling it many times over the years, especially when times have been lean.

The problem: The damn thing weighs over 10 pounds. :hiP

Before I even considered the weight of a guitar (pre-Internet, ya know?), I always shied away from playing this one standing up, favoring my Strat.

Oh well, I'll never sell it now. I've had it too long and I'd probably never buy another Les Paul. I enjoy it every time I pull it out of the case - for a half hour or so until my shoulder goes ballistic! :huh

20. taez555

taez555 Member

I have a Washburn N4 that was owned by Nuno Bettencourt. I float the idea of selling it from time to time, since I could easily get double what I paid for it. That and I don't play it nearly enough (it's in mint condition and a collectors item to begin with, so it mostly stays in it's case), but I just can't do it. I love Nuno, I love owning a guitar that was actually his; plus it just sounds amazing and plays so well.
    I figure I'll just keep it for a few more decades. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.erikzmusic.com/washburnn4.html