What guitar is Malcolm Young playing in this clip?

Kano6

Thanks for the replies, this guitar is awesome. Is it still made? I've never seen one. Kind of looks like a Duo Jet (G6128T-DCM). What are the differences, aside from the Bigsby?

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
I think the sig version is discontinued, you'd have to keep an eye out for a used one. I'm not a Gretsch guy so I don't really know the differences.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
Nope that's his original '60s Jet Firebird, nicknamed "The Beast". As you can see, it's been modified...a lot!

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Malcolm played and customised a 1963 Gretsch Jet Firebird guitar handed down to him by elder brother George Young, who was in The Australian band The Easybeats. Malcolm's mods included stripping the red paint, removing the neck and middle pickups and stuffing socks in the cavities to reduce feedback.

Back In Black (the Brian Johnson era) saw Malcolm add White Falcons to the mix. His first, a ‘59, was sold on after he claimed that it had ‘lost its sound’ following a repair.

Other than that, give Malcolm heavy strings (.012-.056) and plug him into Marshall amps (Super Leads and Super Basses) and away he goes. Gretsch produced two Malcolm Young signature Jet reissues, in both single and double FilterTron pickup configurations.
http://www.acdc.com/us/acdc-today/angus-and-malcolm-young-guitars

Malcolm normally plays his 1963 Gretsch Jet Firebird, which was originally given to him by Harry Vanda of the Easybeats (and also AC/DC producer). Malcolm has since played this guitar on all of AC/DC’s studio recordings (except for the first “High Voltage” album), and has done numerous modifications to the guitar since he first inherited it, including stripping the paint to its natural finish, removing the neck pickup, and middle pickup (the middle which was added to the guitar in the mid 1970’s) and changing the bridge a few times, finally back to its original burns vibrato bridge. Malcolm has also played live with a Gretsch White Falcon on the “Back In Black” tour in 1980, and other Gretsch Jet models throughout various tours, though generally only if his main guitar was in service for some reason. Malcolm plays with heavy gauge (.012) strings which include a wound G string
http://www.music123.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6131smy-malcolm-young-i-signature-electric-guitar

89Custom

I think the sig version is discontinued, you'd have to keep an eye out for a used one. I'm not a Gretsch guy so I don't really know the differences.

I tried one in a store...the neck was waaay too thin for me. Like "weedley deedey Jackson neck" thin.
Not sure if they're all like that.

Trending Topics