What guitar is the most “EVH guitar” in your opinion?

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
EBMM Axis. In fairness, I grew up on EBMM era VH.

No doubt. He also designed this from the ground up. Yeah Frankie was made by Eddie but it was all that was available and it was cheap. The EVH was exactly what Ed wanted when he could afford anything and made to his exact specs.

ns2a

EVH was just fandamntastic.

which one of his signature guitars is The most “EVH” to you?

which guitar on sale today to the general public gets the closest in style? (cause tone is in the hands)

To me the answer is something with a satin finish maple neck. I don’t know why.

Wrong answers: PRS Silver Sky, Jazzmasters, and Acoustasonic series.
Ibanez jem777

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Red/white/black striped ‘Strat’ body, Floyd Rose, maple neck with the hockey stick headstock.

That’s the best hybrid of original aesthetic with his later customizations and the earliest unique novelty of a headstock I only identify with him.

FuzzMuff

A Kramer or a Partscaster modded/built to either EVH specs or to yours. That's the most EVH thing I can think of.
Alternatively, you could say his "final form" was with the Wolfgang. Many agree it's a fantastic instrument.

Jack-White-scaled.jpg

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
Of the EVH line, I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want a striped model--it turns off a lot of people. I think you'd be interested in the Wolfgang Special. That hits a lot of the boxes but without the striping, and it has the Wolfgang body and the more modern layout EVH favored in his later years.

5107701585_gtr_frtangleright_001_rr.png
This is the one! Make sure it’s one of the Japanese versions (which they do not make any more). IMHO good as any USA model!

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
:messedup
This is the one! Make sure it’s one of the Japanese versions (which they do not make any more). IMHO good as any USA model!
If it's "as good" as any USA model.......why would Eddie settle for second best? Just sayin

Harley90

I have had about every EVH Model since there was such a thing, still own quite a few, the best in my opinion is the current Frankie.

The 2nd is base models in the EVH line up, I do upgrade then parts, better Floyd, neck off the mid model, USA EVH pick up.

I also like the lowest end EVH hard tail to do the songs hid did without the whammy, upgrades are a little better but not really needed on that model.

JB6464

Every time I look at a Wolfgang guitar it looks like a deformed Tele from the twilight zone .
It Would of been interesting if he would of done up a one pickup Super Tele . :aok

j_el_jee

A160614-D-3665-4-DEB-9546-F07-E3-C594-DD6.jpg

The 5150 guitar was EVH to me (I must have watched Live Without a Net a thousand times on VHS)

This is my version that I did 20 years ago. A bit legit and a bit DIY… 1983 Kramer body & Floyd rose. I had to rework the neck pocket to fit a Warmoth neck on there. Plays and sounds way better than I expected, ended up gigging it quite a bit, as evidenced by the dirt and wear… it wasn’t intentionally “relic’d”.

someguyfromnc

Axis is my favorite. I also really like the first MIJ Fender Wolfgang Specials a whole lot. The one I had was definitely a few notches above the MusicMan.

I also wouldn't say tone is in the hands in this situation because he used a broken Gibson pickup for those sounds.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Of what EVH actually played, the ‘quintessential’ for me is probably the 5150, hockey-stick headstock Kramer.
That said, my favorite is the black & white striped model in the Charvel or EVH lines.
But.....EVH did play the Wolfgang body style for, what? 24yrs? Hard to dismiss that, although he only released two albums since going with the Wolfgang in ‘96.

EDIT: just saw that I already answered in this thread, but my 'favorite' answer changed.

Last edited:

Hudman_1

I have an EVH Wolfgang Special and an EVH 5150 Deluxe. The 5150 gives the Roth era vibes. The Wolfgang gives me Sammy era vibes.

I have a new Charvel Pro Mod So Cal. It gives me Van Halen vibes but the pickups are much hotter.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom