What guitar is this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mqqse, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Eugene'sAxe

Eugene'sAxe Member

Probably need a better pic...

Drawde likes this.
  2. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

early Schecter?

weevilcaster likes this.
  3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

A relic of the 80s, when many terrible things were done to innocent wood. Neck had a behind the nut lock on it at some point, which would indicate having been on a different body. There's not a lot in the pics that is definitive.

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Some sort of mideighties Fender/Squier or parts guitar. Looks like possible ply body wood. I do know it once had a behind the nut lock/fine tuner gizmo Fender used and sold mid-eighties.

5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Who mixes chrome and gold?

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

How about post some legit photos? I'm not going to hazard a guess until I see the entire guitar.

time2kill and Kelly like this.
  7. Zado

Zado Member

The neckplate should say something

8. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Some sort of mid 80's superstrat like guitar confused about it's identity. Has a 6 point trem with the brass keyhole saddles like a strat, but the brass nut and behind the nut locking nut like a superstrat. Single coils like a strat, but the individual toggles like a superstrat. Could be a mutt, definitely modded from stock.

9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

I'm going to say partscaster, The neck looks nice, birds-eye maple with walnut plug, probably had a Kahler trem on it at some point. Body, who knows, switching looks like schecter or Anderson. Take the neck and pickguard off and take more pics.

10. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I say it's a partscaster. Or something that's been modified beyond recognition, in which case it's still basically a partscaster...imho

11. twotone

twotone Member

The only things I like about it are the three mini switches.

12. John C

John C Supporting Member

Hmmm - have you taken it apart to check for any manufacturer stamps? It's a parts assembly, but given the condition it's kind of hard to say what parts it might be. It could be early Schecter, could be Warmoth, Boogie Bodies, Mighty Mite, etc. Likely late 70s early 80s. Those holes on the front of the headstock could be for that Fender fine-tuning string lock as mc5nrg says - the hole pattern looks more like that than like a Kahler but I could be wrong on that one.

13. El Vee

El Vee Member

I'm leaning toward schecter. Bridge seems familiar

14. eyeamtheggman

eyeamtheggman Member

Back of the headstock shows they’re replacement tuners. Also that paint job on the back of the headstock is either a mod, or the paint was stripped from the rest of the neck except the headstock and heal, where there’s additional rough paint.

15. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Supporting Member

My initial thought was also early Schecter.

16. mqqse

mqqse Silver Supporting Member

They are Schecter parts. What era do you guys think these are from? And the mini switches, seems like they are on/off/on for each one?

17. John C

John C Supporting Member

With a Strat headstock and 21 frets it is most likely Van Nuys. It seems that when they moved to Dallas and began to focus on completed guitars they also started using 22-fret necks instead of 21-fret necks. According to Tom Anderson the 21-fret necks were Van Nuys; the 22-fret necks were either Schecter Japan (Anderson spent 6 months in 1984 in Japan to help that joint venture get set up - he then quit the company when it moved to Dallas at the end of 1984 as he wanted to stay in California) or from other sources like La-Si-Do (parent company of Godin and Seagull).

The on/off/on switches were also a Schecter thing - but the neck and middle pickups don't look like Schecter. The bridge could be Schecter. At any rate a lot of the Schecter single coils were tapped so the on/off/on was "tapped"/off/"full".

superrock and mqqse like this.
  18. superrock

superrock Silver Supporting Member

the electronics and guard and bridge are not schecter. the neck and body appear van nuys era, i would guess '79 for the ash body and maybe a bit earlier for the neck... great looking ash and maple... to verify there would be burn stamps and/or serials to firm up date...

mqqse likes this.