• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What guitar would you use to emulate other instruments?

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Gold Supporting Member
What guitar would you use to fake the parts of other instruments - sax, keyboards, horns, violin, cello, etc. - but without using effects?

My first thought is a strat, but I am interested in what others would use.

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Gold Supporting Member
James Tyler Variax might be what you're looking for.
To clarify, I want a guitar that is and sounds like a guitar, but would be a good vehicle to play non-guitar parts while still sounding like a guitar. Think of playing the horn parts on your guitar.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
I would use it as an opportunity to expand my GAS and go buy all the other instruments (except brass).

stratter

If you don't mind on a little DIY project, or taking it to a tech, it's a bit costly, but I'd do some investigation on GraphTech Ghost piezo pickups, with the Hexpander pack. It'll emulate some MIDI effects. I don't own one, but I've heard they're top notch.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe not what you're looking for exactly: I sometimes play horn parts on open E tuned guitars - usually an SG or strat. Not with a slide, just two and three note chords. What makes it work in this case is the tuning, not which guitar you choose.
MD

old goat

I'm sure not what you're looking for, but a Ramirez Classical guitar worked pretty well for Segovia when he transcribed Bach and other classical composers for guitar.

markedman

A stratocaster with 3 single coil pick ups would be my first choice along with an old fender amp. That's a great combination to get stealth string sounds.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
If I'm understanding your orig. question you are looking to be able to create sax, keyboards, horns, violin, cello, etc. tones without effects. The Roland Guitar Synth would be the best, and most convincing way to do that, especially if your wanting to do keys, and horns. I don't know if you would consider the Roland unit using effects, but even an Ebow is a kind of effect, a great one for creating sustained string type tones though. A Volume pedal, or your pinky on the vol control of a guitar will let you mimic String type note swells, but thats about it. I saw Jennifer Batten play w/Jeff Beck - they had no keyboard player on that tour, Jennifer did all the keyboard and horn sounds with her guitar and it was impeccable sounding, she nailed it all evening. Only at the encore did she change the Roland equipped guitar for a straight-up strat and trade like w/Jeff. The latest generation Roland guitar synth has been, as expected, improved on over the early versions. good hunting on this tone quest.

ECHaydo

Brian May's Red Special. You heard Night at the Opera? He nails flute, trombone....all kinds of funky sounds with it. "No Synthesizers!" as is seen on the record sleeve.

Whats4dessert

If I'm understanding your orig. question you are looking to be able to create sax, keyboards, horns, violin, cello, etc. tones without effects. The Roland Guitar Synth would be the best, and most convincing way to do that, especially if your wanting to do keys, and horns. I don't know if you would consider the Roland unit using effects, but even an Ebow is a kind of effect, a great one for creating sustained string type tones though. A Volume pedal, or your pinky on the vol control of a guitar will let you mimic String type note swells, but thats about it. I saw Jennifer Batten play w/Jeff Beck - they had no keyboard player on that tour, Jennifer did all the keyboard and horn sounds with her guitar and it was impeccable sounding, she nailed it all evening. Only at the encore did she change the Roland equipped guitar for a straight-up strat and trade like w/Jeff. The latest generation Roland guitar synth has been, as expected, improved on over the early versions. good hunting on this tone quest.
I totally agree; I use two synth-equipped guitars, one with a "built-in" Graphtech synth driver and the other with the old GK-2 magnetic p/u, both thru a "vintage" Roland GR-30. Tried the new GR-55 but didn't like it so I'm sticking with vintage. It's a great way to get those other sounds you're looking for & once you've tried it you'll be hooked. On my setup I use a balance pedal to shift between the guitar & synth sounds & usually use two separate amps.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Cover horn parts with a 2 hb guitar that sounds clear but generic.
Minimal character (unlike a Strat or tele) is preferred, imo, even response in all registers.

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Gold Supporting Member
I am looking for suggestions for a straight guitar that would cover faux parts played by other instruments without effects or an ebow. I don't want to sound like those instruments, I want to it to sound like a guitar while playing parts written for other instruments.

Trending Topics