What guitarist is the hardest to imitate?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jonathan31, Sep 5, 2018.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

2. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Or there's this guy - "that's a real workout":

TheGuildedAge likes this.
  3. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

When he quotes Allan Holdsworth saying "If that f*cker took five minutes to figure out who he is rather than twenty years to figure out who I am..." I was taken back to the Half Moon in Putney, where I first met Holdsworth when I was a gawky teenager trying to be a guitarist. He had time for all of the guitarists who had the courage to speak to him, and was hugely encouraging of young folk who cared about guitar.

BTW if you watch the bad quality YouTube Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's gig you'll see Allan in the audience smiling between 36:44 and 36:49

So Allan travelled from his home in California to Watch Jeff in London? Or he may have been in town for other reasons, but certainly not the beer in Ronnie's. He was a bit of a beer connoisseur. And by the looks of it, a Beck fan too.

aliensporebomb and BriSol like this.
  4. BriSol

BriSol Member

I saw that video. It's not bad and is legit, but I would not say that the guy from Marbin is as convincing at copying Allan as the handful of people who truly specialize in that. The stronger examples are Darryl Gabel, who has been around for a while, and more recently, Brett Stine. These people actually play Allan's tunes and specialize in playing in the style of Allan, not just a few ideas they picked up from him, which is more what Marbin is showing.

The latter (Stine) has posted a whole bunch of note for note solo playthroughs of Allan in the last year that are basically perfect replications. TBH, I have zero interest in watching that, I'd rather just listen to the record or I'd be more interested in seeing people's own renditions of Allan's tunes with their own improvised solos, and I think that it's overly obsessive past a point to focus so much on copying Allan. But it certainly requires a lot of skill.

I'm also friends with a few people who knew Allan personally, and it has been repeatedly relayed to me that he hated people going out of their way to copy him, and he hated being misinterpreted by the metal crowd. The quote Johnny gives in the above post, "If that f*cker took five minutes to figure out who he is rather than twenty years to figure out who I am...", was one of Allan's reactions to Darryl Gabel.

Allan's ethos was all about finding yourself. So he told people to go find themselves if they barked up his tree too much or tried to get him to "share the secrets" too much. When the artist themself finds your copying subtley disrespectful, I'd take that as an initiative to step back and think.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Johnny Ninefingers and ned7flat5 like this.
  5. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Hate to say it, if only because it’s such an inviting story, but that isn’t Holdsworth - just about every facial feature is different. But most obviously, Holdsworth had two distinctive lumps on his face for starters.

[​IMG]

The guy at Ronnie’s looks a little like early Jim Carrey though.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The one you're not use to imitating.

7. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

I haven't read all 19 pages so forgive me if this is redundant. Though I don't have the technical ability to copy Danny Gatton or Alan Holdsworth etc, the guy that I struggle with is Jerry Garcia. His playing seems simple at first but it's really hard to copy.

8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I guess they didn't like my video.

:dunno

9. heffernoise

heffernoise Member

Josh Martin from Little Tybee has an approach to electric guitar I'll never be able get my head around.

ned7flat5 and $tratcat like this.
  10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

11. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

It must be twenty-five years since I last met him, but are you sure it's not him? I'm, happy to stand corrected, of course. :)

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Thank You Great Spirit! Silver Supporting Member

I'll definitely see your Jeff Beck, and raise you one Carl Verheyen.

ned7flat5 likes this.
  13. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Carl Verheyen’s intervallic approach to soloing is almost as conceptually boggling to me as Holdsworth’s. I bought the DVD :omg. He sounds like himself.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  14. bsthetech

bsthetech Member

Was there a clear winner? I’d prefer not to wade through 19 pages...

15. Cal Webway

Cal Webway Member

So. True

16. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

After the Holdsworth championing stuff, this’ll sound like I’m “taking the p15s”, but while I managed to cop stuff from the usual suspects (Page, Beck, Taylor, Allman) back in rock’s heyday, I struggled with trying to sound like Glen Buxton, Johnny Thunders or Ron Asheton. I still find those three hard to copy - maybe because they’re so “counter-technical” ( to coin a clumsy descriptor).

17. Jonathan31

Jonathan31 Member

Everyone said Holdsworth.

ned7flat5 and bsthetech like this.
  18. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

Yeah.....now move along. Nothing to see here....

Oh wait....late nomination - and it’s............CC Deville.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I say, yourself. No matter how hard it’d be to copy _____, there is a blueprint and anyone with a bit of talent and discipline and determination can. To get your own sound/ style is way harder, no blueprint and need creativity which is where the art comes in. I have much more respect for those that do the latter. That’s the way players mostly were pre internet/ YT days. They learned mostly by ear and while they tried to copy their favorites it still came out very different because it wasn’t hand fed to them like today.

Led to some unique players back then.

20. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member